• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 8.25/d30 pattern call it good or nah

Evan03

NAXJA Forum User
In my mind pinion needs to move away from ring gearcbut im slightly unsure that will center patterns on ring gear.
Back leash is at 6 i also tried 10 and it still is running inside on drive and outside on coast.
If this was the front axle I'd maybe leave it as is.
I was gung ho to get this done but decided I can have shitty brakes a motor that knocks misses and farts turn signals that dont work and doors you can barely open.
But dammit im gona have 4.88s set up correctly and a suspension that works well the rest doesn't matter.

Drive and coast side are mirrored of eachother i thinking moving pinion away a fuzz will center both aswell as get more tooth contact
Am I correct in thinking this?

Thanks guys for the help
36dc0066ec764d32d24fee57c7fb3fe5.jpg
afee934e2e798d7e01a8fcc114428969.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

the pattern looks too deep or your not getting enough preload to sense the pattern. I smashed a 2x4 against the ring/housing, you need to force the pinion to imprint an accurate wear pattern, if you didnt.

dang it thats the 8.25 isnt it, sorry I just saw the welds, pull the pinion back.

If it were me Ide try .020 off, but the best way I found was to push to both extremes a tad ( say .050 off or add .050, not necessarily that number, but enough to see the pattern change in relation to keeping your same backlash.

Thanks

I did do what you said. Also found theres no reason to check backlash till cap bolts are tight. I stock a board in it and ran pattern with bolts torqued pattern centered out. At 7 backlash. I called it good put fluid in it. Theres a section of about 5teeth that backlash is a tight 5. Should that be concerning
Idled in in 3rd for about 40 minutes. Temp never climbed over 65. Drove around the block and omg i have power can take off with no throttle. Never went over 40 maybe 5miles. Temp was 75.

Speedo is reading 10mph faster than gps

Now on to the 30 making set up bearings now.

Man I was tired of taking the 8.25 apart and together. People do this for a living craziness
b163ffabb21ff93d10206893eddd1a57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back