• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Passenger Side front marker light not working

drdewald24

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ that the passenger front side marker light stopped working I have discovered that it has low voltage (around 6V or lower) and causing it not to work. There are 2 wires going to the socket one blue and red the other on is tan the red and blue wire gives me +12 volts on the multimeter which tells me it should be the positive. The tan wire give me no voltage until given a power source, either from batter or blue/red wire and no matter the source only gives 6 volts max. I've found that this wire connects to the multifunction switch but I have no idea how many connections it goes through before it gets there besides the one behind the headlight on the driver side (cleaned that connection). From the multifunction switch I gave it 12 volts from an empty fuse socket in the fuse block and the wire still only let 6 volts through. I am at a loss at what to do as it causes the blinker to not work properly as well. I have given all the information I know at this moment and any help is appreciated.

Update: turned on my hazards and they worked perfectly fine with the side marker doing what it should so now I am even more confused and lost.

Suspect:
faulty bulb
bulb socket corrosion
wire harness plug corrosion
faulty wiring
bad ground
faulty blinker module (often the hazard flasher and turn signals are separate blinker modules )
faulty turn signal switch assembly

Suspect:
faulty bulb
bulb socket corrosion
wire harness plug corrosion
faulty wiring
bad ground
faulty blinker module (often the hazard flasher and turn signals are separate blinker modules )
faulty turn signal switch assembly

Yea turns out it was a bad turn signal bulb. After I replaced it everything else worked.

Back