• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which TCM for which AW-4 '98 XJ 4x4, 4.0L

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a chart, table, or whatever that matches the transmission model with the correct TCM? My transmission appears to be a 97A 59833.

Several sources persuade me that Chrysler changed TCM and harnesses -- and the sensor that measures output shaft RPM (not the VSS) -- sometime during 1998. Any information much appreciated.

Like I said, the 01 trans works perfectly in my 95. Only modifications were swapping the tail housing and reluctor wheel, and splicing the wiring. Mines obd1 though and you are old 2 but im pretty sure you are making this harder than it has to be.

Does your supposedly 98 donor have the input speed sensor? If it does it should be plug and play. If it doesn't, its not a 98 and it won't work.

Does your supposedly 98 donor have the input speed sensor? If it does it should be plug and play. If it doesn't, its not a 98 and it won't work.

For reference, you can see the extra input sensor in this picture. It's the blue connector just forward of the shift linkage on the drivers side. 1998-2001 are interchangeable.
aw4_2001_2wd_2_32dde11e87eb4f2cd1829377d43e06cd75aaf6a9.jpg

Thanks. Mine does not have that sensor -- and the place where that sensor would be mounted is not machined -- that is, there is no hole for the sensor.

Since the transmission that I have came from an operating Jeep, I assume that there is a TCM that will control this transmission correctly. Hence my question.

Like I said, the 01 trans works perfectly in my 95. Only modifications were swapping the tail housing and reluctor wheel, and splicing the wiring. Mines obd1 though and you are old 2 but im pretty sure you are making this harder than it has to be.
Check out the comments that follow yours. "Swapping the tail housing and reluctor wheel and splicing the wiring" does not strike me as easy.

It's pretty clear that the transmission I have is not a '98 -- '01. I think '97 is a good bet. Looks like I need a '97 or earlier TCM that does not expect an input speed sensor. That may result in a perpetual MIL (check engine light)

The "all you need to know -- AW-4" post is an excellent one. In the next life (if there is one) I will read it before attempting to morph a 2WD XJ into a 4X4 XJ.

LOL: I could have bought a fully functioning 4X4 XJ for about half of what I now have in this semi-automatic XJ that still lacks a differential on the front!!

When I go for a project, I don't mess around.

When I go for a project, I don't mess around.

Maybe.......but your are supposed to "plan" a project like this in "advance" so things like don't happen.

Honestly it would probably be easier just to find the right transmission rather than start changing the computer stuff around. Too bad you are to far away or I would just trade you because I have an extra 100k mile used 01 trans that im saving for when mine goes out. (I plan on using my xj until I retire!)

I think the easiest solution would have been to covert his existing/matching/known trans! No issues but what would been there already.

Thats what he thought he was doing but what someone told him was a 98 trans turns out was not, and although using a newer trans in an older jeep is simple, a older one in a newer one is not.

Thats what he thought he was doing but what someone told him was a 98 trans turns out was not, and although using a newer trans in an older jeep is simple, a older one in a newer one is not.

Both directions are problematic due to the changes in the rear output speed sensor that also happened in 98. I have not done this myself, but I understand that the pre-98 trans should work with a 1997 trans computer, and not cause check-engine codes. 1997 did not have the front input speed sensor, still had the 1 pulse/rev rear sensor, and the TCU the correct OBDII language to the engine computer to avoid the MIL.

I always engage in due diligence when it's too late. :eek:

I think the cheapest course at this point is to continue with 2wd to 4X4 swap and if I like the result, simply find the correct transmission. The jeep us usable now and I don't depend on it for transportation. The whole idea behind the jeep was to give me a project to replace the things I used to do before covid. And to keep me out of the feedbag -- a place to which I take refuge when bored. I have lost 26# since I bought this $750 rust free XJ. Some of the weight I have lost is from my wallet. We are up around $3500 -- and counting!

This is a great forum, and I appreciate the thought y'all have given to my self-induced problem. Thanks.

Back