• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seen the Black Bear roll-over yet.....

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
I should add that there were no deaths, but at 10k feet?

I have a good friend that works for San Miguel County SO rescue. He has told me about some of the back trails to get to Silverton from Montrose. I won't be travelling them, that is for sure!

I have a good friend that works for San Miguel County SO rescue. He has told me about some of the back trails to get to Silverton from Montrose. I won't be travelling them, that is for sure!

It's one of the main trails, I've been there 3 times and love all the trails in the area. My first time all I could think about was better brakes!

It's one of the main trails, I've been there 3 times and love all the trails in the area. My first time all I could think about was better brakes!

I hadn't thought about brakes until you mentioned it, but that's for sure the truth. My brakes were super warm after only a few miles of a fairly mild descent.

I wouldn't have to worry about brakes, it would be my knees getting weak. As I age, my respect for heights has turned into a fear :( :)

I hadn't thought about brakes until you mentioned it, but that's for sure the truth. My brakes were super warm after only a few miles of a fairly mild descent.

I first noticed it at altitudes above 10000ft, I attributed it to lack of vacuum for the servo and because brake fluid is hydroscopic is would boil the water. The next day I installed all new fluid before the run, it did help but still needed better brakes.

The highest I have driven is just East of Bayfield in the San Juan Range, elk hunting. We camped at 9600 feet. The XJ never gave me problems but one year I had to change U-joints in the snow and another I had to change the alternator (pain in the butt) up the mountain.

Don't think I would enjoy Black Bear pass.

Back