• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer or its illumination kaput!

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ sport, automatic,2wd (with transfer case*) 4.0L, naturally aspirated, Green. I've owned it for about three months.

After behaving quite normally, the odometer went completely dark. I can't tell whether it's loss of illumination, or if the device just quit.

No other instrument faults noted: all gauges including speedo work, all other illumination OK.

Recent activity: 1) Installation of a 2Din radio. (I simply wired radio illumination to the switched 12V from the ignition switch) and 2) During the radio installation, I lowered the steering wheel to its lowest position, and it presented some resistance as it approached the lowest position. I didn't notice whether the odo went dark during either of these operations, but if not when, soon after.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants?

*it has a transfer case 'cuz I'm about half way through the improvident task of converting it to 4X4

Last edited:
The most recent repairs or modifications are always good suspects. Inspect for chafed wire insulation, broken wires, loose wire connectors, bents or dislodged wire plug pins.

Clean the cluster connectors.

Always start troubleshooting with the basics. The symptoms you describe are not uncommon, IDK if I have ever seen a thread or posting with that specific issue.

You have a bit of a catch22 here because the odometer does not have/use a separate illumination lamp and if you need to get a new instrument panel the mileage would need to reset in the cluster.

oh, the new fangled led displays. How do the cops note mileage on this type of odometer which needs
power on to display. Cops use odometer reading to determine if a car has traveled the required distance for avoiding a parking violation? I got the mechanical type

As a huge believer in Occam's Razor, I shoved the steering wheel up a bit and the odometer now functions quite well. Many thanks to the comments, especially those addressing troubleshooting techniques.

Sounds like wiring got jostled/pinched by moving the wheel around for the radio install. Be interesting to see if it stays working now, or if a good bump causes it to blink out.

Indeed. In my experience, mechanical and electrical things rarely heal themselves. However, in this case I'm thinking perhaps a connector was stretched beyond its tolerance.

If it craps out again, I will report in this thread.

Back