• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info on swap

Jethrodaredneck

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 99 xj 4.0 4x4 I rolled couple days ago also have a 96 xj but it's 2 wheel drive. So y'all see where this is going I've searched the forum here much as I can tell through and through, but I can't find anything on going backwards like this. I know the basics I'll need abd I'm pretty much pulling everything from my 99. But I'm wondering will I need to swap the tcm out as well. I think mostly you wouldn't have to if it's the same generation but these arent any info would be greatly preciated. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas y'all.

Are you swapping everything or just axles, tranny and tcase for 4wd?

Wait, you are going the other way. Yes that works fine. I have an 01 tranny in my 95. You have to change the output sensor wheel on the output shaft of the tranny and you will have to come up with the correct rear housing between the trans and tcase. Slight wire splicing too, but yes it can be done.

Yeah I'm going from the 99 sport to a 96 sport just wasn't about the tcm and harnesses and such. All left to pull off the 99 is the tranny and tcase but still gotta pull tranny and rear diff out of the 96 long with the front axle being it was barely over a week go that I rolled the 99 I'm still lol sore and it's just me doing it. So any advice would be greatly preciated.

Back