• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Washer Fluid Fix

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So normally I use only rainx washer fluid. But last month I was in a pinch and bought some other brand of washer fluid that was rated for winter use. Long story short I used it in one of my Cherokees and a Honda. When the temps went below freezing the pumps in both those vehicles stopped working. We had a warm spell the other day while I was driving the Honda and the pump started working again so its clear that the washer fluid is freezing. Would it harm anything just to add some rubbing alcohol to the reservoir? I worry it will eat at something but I dont think I will be able to get my hands on some rainx booster in the mail before it gets really cold again.

I don't know that it is the best solution, but in Kali the good washer fluid is illegal. If you travel where it snows in Kali you will find that they have bottles of isopropyl right next to the washer fluid. I expect that is what everyone who lives in those areas is doing in order to cope with those who are saving the planet. Either that, or they pick up the good stuff when they go through a free state.

I don't know that it is the best solution, but in Kali the good washer fluid is illegal. If you travel where it snows in Kali you will find that they have bottles of isopropyl right next to the washer fluid. I expect that is what everyone who lives in those areas is doing in order to cope with those who are saving the planet. Either that, or they pick up the good stuff when they go through a free state.

I always wondered how car people get by in that state. When I worked in automotive restoration I dont think I ever saw anything that didnt say "illegal in California" on it. Everything down to oem parts. I dont get it. MA is bad enough they allow inspection shops to blatantly scam you and they do it regularly to people. But yeah, thats good to know. Maybe I will dump some in and just use it liberally and get some of the rainx stuff asap. Thanks for the input

I always wondered how car people get by in that state. When I worked in automotive restoration I dont think I ever saw anything that didnt say "illegal in California" on it. Everything down to oem parts. I dont get it. MA is bad enough they allow inspection shops to blatantly scam you and they do it regularly to people. But yeah, thats good to know. Maybe I will dump some in and just use it liberally and get some of the rainx stuff asap. Thanks for the input

It is not just automotive. It is the same way with woodworking. All the good finishing products are illegal in Kali. And firearms. In fact, pretty much anything good is illegal in Kali, but anything disgraceful, perverted or addictive is endorsed by the state and all residents are supposed to embrace it. :looney:

It is not just automotive. It is the same way with woodworking. All the good finishing products are illegal in Kali. And firearms. In fact, pretty much anything good is illegal in Kali, but anything disgraceful, perverted or addictive is endorsed by the state and all residents are supposed to embrace it. :looney:

You speak the truth. Nice weather out here, but otherwise the place is a legal crap pile.

You speak the truth. Nice weather out here, but otherwise the place is a legal crap pile.

I just wish they would stay in California and fix those problems, instead of jumping ship and bringing it all up here. It's making housing prices and my taxes skyrocket, their kids are bringing their gang mentality with them, and we have stuck self-entitled up retirees demanding homeowners associations everywhere.

Okay, I'm done ranting about the Californication of North Idaho.

Your washer fluid probably wasn't freezing and in jeopardy of splitting anything so much as slushing. Yeah, a bottle of rubbing alcohol should help. I had some go bad once and it developed little blue crumbly stuff that looked like eraser dust that kept plugging up the nozzles. I had to repeatedly clean them with a pin for about 3 months.

I just wish they would stay in California and fix those problems, instead of jumping ship and bringing it all up here. It's making housing prices and my taxes skyrocket, their kids are bringing their gang mentality with them, and we have stuck self-entitled up retirees demanding homeowners associations everywhere.

Okay, I'm done ranting about the Californication of North Idaho.

Your washer fluid probably wasn't freezing and in jeopardy of splitting anything so much as slushing. Yeah, a bottle of rubbing alcohol should help. I had some go bad once and it developed little blue crumbly stuff that looked like eraser dust that kept plugging up the nozzles. I had to repeatedly clean them with a pin for about 3 months.

Yeah they can turn to slush before freezing hard, the point of that transition depends on the mix and the temperature.

My Dad kept his schnapps in the freezer. my teenage kid brother was taking some of it and replacing it with water, very sneaky. My Dad found him out when he noticed his schapps was slushing in the bottle! Junior was Busted!

I typically will buy the splash brand as it is just methanol and water. The red stuff is appx 30% meth and I would use it for the windshield and injection. In the engine, not me. CT only gets down maybe to -4 and no clogging issues. A bottle of isopropyl wont do any harm as methanol is far more corrosive.

I wonder if california law requires handsanitizer to be low alcohol? They are pushing hand sanitizer on us, they are likely more polluting that wiper fluid!

I wonder if california law requires handsanitizer to be low alcohol? They are pushing hand sanitizer on us, they are likely more polluting that wiper fluid!

Gee...maybe that's why there are so many Covid cases in Kali, over 2 million cases, putting Kali among the top 10 nations in the world.

:looney:

Gee...maybe that's why there are so many Covid cases in Kali, over 2 million cases, putting Kali among the top 10 nations in the world.

:looney:

California legal rat poison is now the safer less toxic type, Id image they require safer hand sanitizer too, dont want to kill the germs now do you?

PETOG People for Ethical Treatment Of Germs!:flame:

Back