• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got Me a SnapOn MTG 2500 Engine Analyzer Today!

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Got a Craigslist deal today... The SnapOn Tools MTG2500 Engine Analyzer. Just what I need for my Renix powered Jeep. Anyone else here use one of these?

I have one, but I have not done much with it. Picked it up in case I ever wind up with a Renix.

If you don't mind, what did you pat for it? Did it come with the right cables and cartridges?

I looked for one myself, CL, Ebay, FB market, but they were still too pricey. Almost got a Nickintime, but decided I can still get the job done with my VOM.

200 bucks has the early and late model US car cartridges and the Asia import cartridges. I think that is all of them. has many cables, but the renix one was not included, I got the renix cable coming from ebay, 10 bucks. It also needs a new battery, it is an 8.7 volt Ni Metal battery, rechargable type. it was dead. mine is the graphing analyzer, the MTG2500, the standard non graphing analyzer MT2500 uses a disposable 9 volt battery.

Snap on wants 50 bucks for the battery, but it looks like a no name brand battery is about half that cost

Also included is carry case, several instruction books.

Near as I can tell 200 bucks seems to be the usual asking price on ebay for the non graphing units, some may or may not have the cables or carry case.

Mine appears to be very lightly used, nice condition except for the dead battery.

anyway, look for MTG2500 for the graphing function rather than the MT2500 unit, just keep in mind it uses a more pricey rechargable battery. My battery showed signs of leaking, so I need a new one.
Graphing units will plot data on a graph and have the ability to save data for later review.

Sounds like you got a good deal!! Prices are all over the map.

Are you in Orange County? <wink, wink, nod, nod>

Nothing against it but it is a 1 trick pony. I'd prefer to have something I can use on other vehicles. Right now my 88 is the only non-OBD vehicle I have. Perhaps in a year or two, this won't be an issue. anymore.

Nothing against it but it is a 1 trick pony. I'd prefer to have something I can use on other vehicles. Right now my 88 is the only non-OBD vehicle I have. Perhaps in a year or two, this won't be an issue. anymore.

My 90 jeep is my newest car, my 72 injected 914 car has no diagnostic port at all, For that I use a volt ohm meter on each sensor. Everything else is non computerized. 1980 thru 1958 carbs and such.

Back