• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power on start up

Mikel

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I have a '96 XJ. 4.0/AW4. When I stop the engine and restart it shortly after (always happens when warm), it will feel as if it's running on half the cylinders for about 30 seconds, with a rough idle and very little power. Goes away on its own. No check engine light.

Any ideas what it could be? Has 205K miles. Thanks.

Sounds like leaky injectors. Pull the injectors off and leave them on the rails, turn the key on and see if any of them drip with fuel pressure applied.

Thanks. The injectors are Bosch 0280155703 remans with about 40k miles.

It also could be a bad O2 sensor. I had one drive me wild because on a hot restart, I'd take off and it just felt like the transmission was stuck in 3rd gear. After a couple of seconds it would clear right up as if nothing ever happened. I replaced the upstream sensor (use only NTK brand, by the way) and the problem never happened again. Maybe give that a go?

I'd still take a look at the injectors for post-shutoff drips. I have heard of some websites selling Bosch injectors that are just Bosch knockoffs that look really convincing.

Back