• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 water pump alignment issue

Madspeed

NAXJA Forum User
How many different water pumps are there for a 1994 cherokee 4,0 6 cyl?
New pump I found for an 80s jeep pushes pulley out about half the belt width. The original pump from the truck has a smaller hub than what they sell for it. I got one from an 80s that fit the pulley but it pushes the pulley out. I have ordered a pulley from jeep for a 94 that has the larger center an bolt spacing. Now I cant find the fan clutch to match it. WTF?

1980's would make that a waterpump for a 4.2 L, if I am not mistaken. I am wondering why you are not buying the correct water pump for a 1994 4.0L ?

You definitely don't have a "Cherokee" pump, possibly got a Grand Cherokee.

I did buy a 94 pump. It aint right. bought an early pump it aint right either. pump for the 94 comes with the large hub like the ofset fan setup. early 80s is correct hub but to tall seal face to hub face. its like 3 3/4 and the one that came on the truck is 3 1/4. Why is that I seem to end up with the problems nobody has the answers to lol look up duralast bwp 724 its listed for 94 then bwp 723 fits an 89 bwp 722 looks the same as the 723

I don't even buy oil at Idoitzone, and especially nothing labeled Duralast. As suggested, they either sold you a Grand Cherokee part, or somebody had a few different part numbers out of the boxes and then mixed them up.

My NAPA water pump fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Another detail, since it looks like you are getting to try out all the wrong options, there are different rotation water pumps to be considered.

I believe it is '96 and up that use a reverse rotation water pump. Try to avoid getting one of those. If you do you will most likely have overheating issues.

Back