• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust leak at engine

jkellner

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 XJ sounds like it has an exhaust leak up front by the manifold. It's the typical farty exhaust-leak noise, but not severe yet. Does that mean a leak in the manifold gasket? What's the remedy?

jkellner said:
My '96 XJ sounds like it has an exhaust leak up front by the manifold. It's the typical farty exhaust-leak noise, but not severe yet. Does that mean a leak in the manifold gasket? What's the remedy?

Could be gasket but more likely you have the 'class action suit' syndrom. Cracked exhaust manifold, you can either get it welded or replace the exhaust manifold with an aftermarket like banks. I won't even suggest the dealer for this cause their prices on that are just too unrealistic... Oh, also check to see if you lost any bolts.....you might get lucky...

RichP said:
Could be gasket but more likely you have the 'class action suit' syndrom. Cracked exhaust manifold, you can either get it welded or replace the exhaust manifold with an aftermarket like banks. I won't even suggest the dealer for this cause their prices on that are just too unrealistic... Oh, also check to see if you lost any bolts.....you might get lucky...

What's this "class action suit" you mention? Does Jeep have a Technical Service Bulletin on this or a recall we should know about?

Every 4.0 exhaust manifold is either broke or going to break. Chrysler built them all with shotty materials, and they knew it. So a bunch of people are trying to get their money back for repairs via lawsuit.

Would that leaky manifold cause the check-engine light to flash a fault in the MAP sensor? I've been getting the MAP-sensor code intermittently.

Back