• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which rotors to buy??

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I'm afraid that I will have to buy new rotors: my pads wore out and well.... you know how it goes. In any case, as I'm sick as a dog and can't go out into the garage, I'm doing "web wrenching" and checking out the prices for rotors. So far, I have found over dozen different variations and almost half a dozen come from Raybestos and the prices range from $20 up and I mean UP. In any case, I don't want to skimp on the brakes as they are somewhat hmm... important, but on the other hand I don't want to waste money. So any suggestions?

The $20 ones are made in China and the $50 ones aren't. Personally, I won't buy the ones made in China.

I bought rotors at Autozone a couple of years ago and they were in the $20 range. They looked just like the stock ones and have given me no trouble at all.

i have the preformance slotted ones from NAPA kind of high $ but better braking.
Quadratec has some slotted rotors and hi pro pads, not as much $ as i paid at NAPA.

Be cautious-

Your '98 will have the dreaded 'composite' rotors as did my '98. They have the cast rotor part bonded to a sheet metal 'hat'. They tend to warp easily, and in the rust belt have even been known to rust through! Consider your replacements carefully. However, if you want to try cheapo China rotors to see how they do, well not much lost if they don't. Not hard to replace. If your OEMs have done well, perhaps continue with them?

When considering the Warn hub converion, the fact the composites were replaced with full cast rotors from a early 90s Wrangler was one of the things that convinced me to bite that bullet. Been working well too-

Judd W. VA said:
Your '98 will have the dreaded 'composite' rotors as did my '98. They have the cast rotor part bonded to a sheet metal 'hat'. They tend to warp easily, and in the rust belt have even been known to rust through! Consider your replacements carefully. However, if you want to try cheapo China rotors to see how they do, well not much lost if they don't. Not hard to replace. If your OEMs have done well, perhaps continue with them?

When considering the Warn hub converion, the fact the composites were replaced with full cast rotors from a early 90s Wrangler was one of the things that convinced me to bite that bullet. Been working well too-

OK, I have went to the garage and looked at my current rotors. They aren't really gone, but they have a slight depression (if I were to guess, I'd say less then 1mm). The depression is visible of the side (actually two parallel lines matching two bolt heads on the pads) as a shiny spot, and you can feel the change with the finger, but they really aren't deep. So now comes the question: can they be saved? turned? or something?? Or should I used them till I really wear them out?? Or immediate replacement is the only option as the depresion will maket he pads wear uneven and when I put in new pads their prior uneven wear will make the rotors wear uneven.....

Kejtar...

I got a set of the cheap Raybestos $20 rotors. I haven't installed them yet, but they look pretty decent. I heard the '98 XJ's have trouble because there were 2 different rotor sizes...I hope mine are the right ones.

Just remember...they carry the Raybestos name. Even though they are only $20 each (not cheap actually) they have to meet certain safety requirements. I think they will be just fine. Turning the rotors is ~$15 each, and the XJ's eat them up...or order new Raybestos rotors each time for $20 a pop?

However, you might not have to replace rotors each time.

I put the crossdrilled TRW Power Stop Brake Rotors and the matching pads on the 86 and noticed quite a difference. They are right pricey though, I bought them here - http://4wd.com/shopcherokee/
Mike B.

Well, there's no harm in taking your current rotors in to at least see whether or not they can turn them. If they can't, they'll tell you up front, at least they do at the local Pep-Boys. But if they are the stock rotors, you sure can't get those for $20 so I'd keep them if I could. I got a recall notice on my 94 about 3 years back for the factory rotors, they mentioned the risk of the hub seperating from the rotor due to corrosion in areas where they use salt on the roads. I'd had the brakes done at the stealership the year prior so apparently they used the rotors referred to in the above post. Not sure what they were replaced with, but I just had them turned over the weekend and they are doing fine with some new pads from Midas.

Back