• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee seats in an XJ?

Yep, it can.
ZJ and WJ seats have different bases from each other and from the XJ.
The three of them, though, share a common pattern where the seat bolts to the base / bracket.
So you unbolt the seat from the floor of the jeep, turn it upside down, and remove the 4 13mm nuts that secure seat to bracket. Discard the old seat and the new bracket. XJ bracket + WJ seat = win.
My ZJ seats are pretty beat up but OH so much more comfortable. Someday I'll put a fresher set in & get the rear at the same time. Till then...

Cool. Well I ended up grabbing the seats from a "Sport" Cherokee, they were nice and seem a bit more like bucket seats, I just hate the color. I also grabbed a hood, the front fenders, as well as front and rear bumpers. I rear-ended a ****ing Prius, but they ran after I pulled over. Nothing to do with my engine...just a bad lane decision on my part coupled with my tendency to drive aggressive no matter what I'm in. Worst part is...no more fancy and rare Wagoneer header panel. Unless you are a fiberglass guy, it is done. Damn. I loved it.

So I have two questions for the forum members now:

1) Given the buckety sport cherokee seats vs. the seats from the grand...should I get the other seats?

2) Does anyone need anything from the yard? There are about 23 Jeeps out there, about half being Grands and the other half being just Cherokees of all different flavors. The yard is about 40 miles north of me, but I can make another day of it. Today I feel like I would have been better off just rolling an XJ out, since I CARRIED half of one out of the pick-n-pull.

As usual, I appreciate your input guys. Also, I tried the search first, but I was on my phone in the junk yard and it was being weird. I found it easier to just start a thread. Thanks for the patience.

I had 98 XJ sport seats and changed to larger, cushier ZJ seats. I used to only be able to drive 2 - 3 hours before I had to get out of the jeep and walk around - body pains. Now I'm good for 6+. I did feel better supported for fast driving in the XJ seats but in my jeep and in my now-older state of mind it's a non issue.

I did ZJ seats from a '98. The bracket swap was super easy, and in my opinion, they are much more comfortable than the sport seats that were stock in my '99. When you side-by-side compare, it is clear there was a lot more cushy goodness stuffed into the wj seats.

On the other hand, the seat has so much side-cushion on the lower right of the driver, it hits the tranny tunnel pretty good and I cannot scoot the seat all the way forward. I drive with it all the way back, and my 5'6" wife was able to drive it fine, so it has not caused a problem. I did the swap because my XJ seat was repeatedly breaking innards on account of my fatness. I had read that these were more robust. The framing is the same on the WJ seat as my XJ was, so I will probably break this one soon, too. Perhaps the ZJ framing is tougher? These seats are so nice though, I will go to more effort to permanently fix the framing when I do break it. Or I could lose weight...but that is unlikely. :viking:

Excellent. Thank you all. After conversing with the wife who insists I need seat covers anyway because I am always dirty AND that the XJ seats hold better...I'm gonna stick with the XJ seats. My jeep is fast and I want it to be controllable. If you can't stay in the seat then it makes it more difficult to control...so yeah. Decision made. Thanks!

Back