• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Amazon winch rope

cjstefan

NAXJA Forum User
So I see the XBull winchline says it's sk75 (sk?) Dyneema. Is it good quality or a false sense of security? The strength is rated way higher than the high end ropes. I just got a smoking deal on an arb bumper ($200) and a brand new never used Warn m8000 ($500). I have RE 4.5 coils. I want to save any weight I can (no the ARB doesn't weight much at all despite popular belief) so I'm thinking of switching to this line for my once a year use. In the meantime I'll save up for high end line if I necessary. So anyone use it or test it? Will I even notice the 20 pound weight difference?

It's really not worth it unless you are in competition or use it a lot. My winch is almost 15yrs old and the cable still looks brand and un-marred by all the abuse it see's dragging over rocks and other debri!

I'm not sure how this applies to you, but here in AZ rope catches all the cactus permanently and it sucks when your feeding it back on the drum!

It's really not worth it unless you are in competition or use it a lot. My winch is almost 15yrs old and the cable still looks brand and un-marred by all the abuse it see's dragging over rocks and other debri!

I'm not so much interested in it for strength purposes. It's 99% for the weight savings. My question is, how can Warn and Masterpull and those guys charge $300 to $400 and this XBull is $80 or $90 if it's sk75 dyneema like they say

Branding?

I'm not sure how this applies to you, but here in AZ rope catches all the cactus permanently and it sucks when your feeding it back on the drum!

Still haven’t pulled the trigger on rope yet. But reading this since I’m moving to az. Maybe I’ll keep my steel line.

Wow… I had to look up winch rope prices. 5 years ago a smittybilt rope was $100. My recommendation is always going to be rope over cable. Far easier to work with, lighter, and safer under tension. That said, I would gamble on off brand dyneema. Thought I would not want a cheap hook on it.

I think I decided I'm going with TRE rope. Everyone says it's great and it's only like $150 for 85 feet of 3/8. Granted that's double what the Amazon stuff costs but half of what the big name brands charge. I planned on going with a factory 55 for the hook or whatever it's called, but then I saw their prices :eek:
Any recommendations or should I just stick with my Warn hook?

I think I decided I'm going with TRE rope. Everyone says it's great and it's only like $150 for 85 feet of 3/8. Granted that's double what the Amazon stuff costs but half of what the big name brands charge. I planned on going with a factory 55 for the hook or whatever it's called, but then I saw their prices :eek:
Any recommendations or should I just stick with my Warn hook?

gotta change your fairlead. and whatever on F55

gotta change your fairlead. and whatever on F55

creating a secure link between you and your anchor is really important. I do not use F55 stuff... I use 3/4 inch shackles, straps and my winch line to create a secure pull.

I'm going to get a new roller fairlead since I'm running the ARB and it has that roller fairlead support built in to it.

if you're running a synthetic line (not wire rope) you need a different fairlead. not a roller.

I have seen (but can't remember where) a set of poly fairlead rollers for use with synthetic rope, but they're not too common and there's still the chance of it getting pinched in the corners.

The "standard" for synthetic line is the hawse fairlead.. They have the same "bolt pattern" as the roller units, and I'd frankly be shocked that you couldn't put one on that ARB bumper.

Back