• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 hi steer conversion

Been done lots.

Doing only the passenger knuckle, I assume you want to run the drag link to the high steer arm and thetie rod on the stock steering horns?

I’d you don’t know off hand, you’ll first want to check if you have Ford or GM knuckles/spindles.

If you are planning to run the tie rod on the steering arms, you'll need to ensure the knuckle you're buying has the taper direction the same as your driver's side knuckle. IIRC, the older knuckles put the tie rod on the top and the later knuckles had the tie rod on the bottom. I don't remember the year for the split. 76, maybe?

Check out the Dana 44 bible. Lots of good info in here. https://web.archive.org/web/20060520174647/http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

When I was researching for 44 options I decided I would buy this kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264332006134?hash=item3d8b6a52f6:g:w4MAAOSw3dZc5HPk

Haven't ordered anything or built the 44 yet, or might not ever. It seems like a good option though.

Last edited:
I had a Teraflex high steer setup on my XJ with TJ rubicon axles. I never did get it to work out like it should. There was always a bit of bump steer.
A while ago I replaced it with Off Road Only’s Uturn steering system. It is far superior to the Teraflex setup. No more dead spot and no more bump steer.
And you don’t need to replace your knuckle. Worth taking a look at.
I think it was around $600 shipped.

If you are planning to run the tie rod on the steering arms, you'll need to ensure the knuckle you're buying has the taper direction the same as your driver's side knuckle. IIRC, the older knuckles put the tie rod on the top and the later knuckles had the tie rod on the bottom. I don't remember the year for the split. 76, maybe?

Check out the Dana 44 bible. Lots of good info in here. https://web.archive.org/web/20060520174647/http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

When I was researching for 44 options I decided I would buy this kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264332006134?hash=item3d8b6a52f6:g:w4MAAOSw3dZc5HPk

Haven't ordered anything or built the 44 yet, or might not ever. It seems like a good option though.
Was hoping that link worked limited. Got anything else?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I had a Teraflex high steer setup on my XJ with TJ rubicon axles. I never did get it to work out like it should. There was always a bit of bump steer.
A while ago I replaced it with Off Road Only’s Uturn steering system. It is far superior to the Teraflex setup. No more dead spot and no more bump steer.
And you don’t need to replace your knuckle. Worth taking a look at.
I think it was around $600 shipped.
Thanks

the bolt on high steer arms and teraflex knuckle are for two very different dana 44s.

what do you have exactly?

I have a TJ rubicon ‘06 Dana 44. The Teraflex knuckle that I bought was meant for TJs.
The rest of the high steer setup was also meant for a TJ. I know people have done this and had it work out but it was terrible for my Jeep.

I did a thread about this on here.
Search VANCO big brakes and u turn steering and you should be able to find it. At least see what I had in there.

waggy 44 over here
thats what i had assumed.

don't think those are even machinable for flat top/hi steer?
being that these axles were used for so long and in so many different variations, its honestly not safe to assume anything. rather, look/verify what you have.

first... id identify what knuckles you have. ford knuckles will have 5 spindle bolts, chevy will have 6. (waggy axles used chevy stuff) lug pattern isnt a great indicator, you can make a chevy knuckle 5 lug, and a ford knuckle 6 lug. the caliper bracket and caliper design are also different. another way to tell without removing the hub.

lets assume your waggy axle uses its OE knuckles. youll have GM knuckles/spindles. if you have a flat top knuckle that isnt machined, you can use that knuckle for high steer. dont attempt to machine and use a non flat top knuckle for high steer. if you need a knuckle... an OE one that has been machined works, reid also works. just be sure what knuckle/spindle you are using before ordering.

Was hoping that link worked limited. Got anything else?

They both work for me. Which one are you referring to?

The eBay listing title is "GM/CHEVY/JEEP DANA 44 HIGH STEER ARMS AND KNUCKLES DRIVER AND PASSENGER HD" priced at $400.

They both work for me. Which one are you referring to?

The eBay listing title is "GM/CHEVY/JEEP DANA 44 HIGH STEER ARMS AND KNUCKLES DRIVER AND PASSENGER HD" priced at $400.
Ebay links work.

44 Bible doesn't work.

thats what i had assumed.

being that these axles were used for so long and in so many different variations, its honestly not safe to assume anything. rather, look/verify what you have.

first... id identify what knuckles you have. ford knuckles will have 5 spindle bolts, chevy will have 6. (waggy axles used chevy stuff) lug pattern isnt a great indicator, you can make a chevy knuckle 5 lug, and a ford knuckle 6 lug. the caliper bracket and caliper design are also different. another way to tell without removing the hub.

lets assume your waggy axle uses its OE knuckles. youll have GM knuckles/spindles. if you have a flat top knuckle that isnt machined, you can use that knuckle for high steer. dont attempt to machine and use a non flat top knuckle for high steer. if you need a knuckle... an OE one that has been machined works, reid also works. just be sure what knuckle/spindle you are using before ordering.
Looks like I have chevy 6 lug. Also six studs on hub
458ffd5b617999688ff76f051e4718a6.jpg

Here's both
0ba4e8609e60e21600ff815ec954961a.jpg

Back