• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on an 8.8 swap

Wikkid98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone swapped an 8.8 in with an ax15 with sye using an aw4 with od front driveshaft I read somewhere that I would need a longer driveshaft

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I did this like 6 years ago. But every rig is a little different. Something you’ll have to measure for when you get it in. It was longer than a front auto drive shaft, but don’t remember how much.

Has anyone swapped an 8.8 in with an ax15 with sye using an aw4 with od front driveshaft I read somewhere that I would need a longer driveshaft

I have swapped 8.8's into a both AX15 and NV3550 equipped XJ's.

Without an SYE I was able to continue using the stock shaft with a slip yoke.

With an SYE I was not able to find a front shaft that would work and just went with a Tom Woods. The XJ AW4 front shaft is too short. There are some ZJ front shafts that looked like they may work, but finding one was a bigger issue.

You wouldn't happen to remember the length would you?

I dont sorry. But like i said every one is different. Lift height, spring height, trans mount condition, and angle of the rear pinion all play into that measurement.

Also don’t forget to shim the axle to rotate the pinion up. When you switch to an sye the angle of the pinion needs to change to point at the tcase output.

Also don’t forget to shim the axle to rotate the pinion up. When you switch to an sye the angle of the pinion needs to change to point at the tcase output.

The axle isn't in yet its still laying in the back of the jeep lol waiting on brackets as of right now I'm 5.5 front and rear after the 8.8 goes in I think it will be close to 6 in the rear I was just hoping to get all the parts together the b**ch is I got a front d/s the other day when I picked up the axle now I think I'm going to try to get it retubed..

You wouldn't happen to remember the length would you?

I don’t sorry. But as stated they’re all different enough. Just wait on the driveshaft, you’ll be really mad if you spend money, it’s wrong, and you gotta do it a second time

Back