NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 20th, 2020, 05:02
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
What a monster!!! Canít wait to half the stuff you got for n there, same red as my oil guy; truly my heels idol! LOL

But ah... Whereís the drag link? :?

Full hydro would delete it, but hydro assist still needs one... I must be missing something

Thanks but yes it is full hydro. I converted a while back. Using a big winglet ended Ram because it was easier to set up after already running hydro assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 20th, 2020, 05:08
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

So got my front driveshaft built. Went with a 1410 at the atlas and kept my 1350 at the axle. Havenít flexed it out to see if it has actually fixed my problem but the good thing with being a single U-Joint is that I can grind some more clearance if need be. Havenít done much more than that lately with it. Been focused on some house projects and the LJ right now. May find some time to cut and install my doors soon but weíll see.

Old May 24th, 2020, 15:08
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Back from Chocco. Jeep is still in need of some work to be 100%. The front driveshaft is still causing problems. Also the atlas support broke its weld and the passenger side front shock needs to be sealed and charged. I have since tore down the rear suspension to tighten and tack the CA jam nuts and to weld the atlas support in better. Next will be the driveshaft and front shock. Other than that the Jeep did actually do very well at chocco. Itís getting close to not needing much but maintenance which is my ultimate goal.

Old August 13th, 2020, 19:33
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

So a few things to add since Iíve been on here last. Jeep pretty much sat for a little while. Was taking care of buying my first house do that too a lot of time. Got started on my half doors. Need to cut the passenger side and cap everything but that will happen Iím due time. Biggest thing is my rear geometry. The Ironman4x4 crossmember didnít have enough separation at the frame. So I drew up a fix for that. And with the help of a buddy of mine that had a laser at his job had them cut and put in this past week. Set up them to have a few more options to really dial in the rear suspension. Need to had some bracing to the cage and trim a little more out of the floor before I go wheeling again. Other than that a i have a few things coming alone soon.

Old November 11th, 2020, 17:16
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Welp finally got the Jeep dialed into enough to go wheeling again but that didnít last long. With me getting married in December I decided to grab my groomsmen who had rigs as well and went to Harlan for my bachelor party. Was actually a very solid trip and did really good. Till I dropped into the Lions Den. Trashed the front right corner which caused a lot of coolant issues. And after the ride down the mountain and did not sound good. Hopefully this weekend Iíll get a chance to look at what it will take to have it back on the trail. Also need to check out the brakes but other than that itís good. Also had it on its side for the first time.

Old March 29th, 2021, 09:42
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

I got lucky with the XJ after lions den. After driving it down the mountain with no coolant it sounded like a tractor by time we got it back to camp. Got it home and started to dive in. Turns out it everything was fine. The radiator was fine. The leak came from a cracked flush T I had installed years ago and a warped thermostat housing. Replaced the hose and housing with a new thermostat and she ran like a top. Fixed the bare minimum to get it to Morris mountain for thanksgiving for a benefit ride for a friend of ours that passed away. The Jeep did absolutely amazing. Didnít have one single issue out of it and honestly just needs a cleaning and could go out again. I still need to look at the brakes to get them working better but they work. Not sure Iím gonna dove nose the front anymore but will definitely be adding some more tube to the front to keep this from happening again. Didnít get any pictures from Morris unfortunately.

With me getting married on the 12th and starting a new job at the beginning of the year Iím not sure when Iíll be able to get to do much to either of the jeeps for a little while but it will get done.

Old March 29th, 2021, 09:43
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

So some new things to add.. I got married back in December, started a new job and sold my truck in January and picked up my new one this past Friday. Been working on the Jeep a little here and there.. trying to get ready for another Harlan trip April 22nd. Saturday and went a bought some new front end parts to try and fix the lions den incident. Gonna try to get that done this week and hopefully finish my half doors this weekend.

Old March 29th, 2021, 10:37
NAXJA Member

Re: My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Nice lookin' truck.
And I'm diggin' the "Trail Rated" emblem on the new fender, haha.
Old March 29th, 2021, 11:02
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdspearo View Post
Nice lookin' truck.
And I'm diggin' the "Trail Rated" emblem on the new fender, haha.

Still on the hunt for a red one but will use this one if need be

Old April 5th, 2021, 04:17
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Got the front end pulled together this weekend. Still need to bleed my brakes out some before the trip but should be good to go. Will be trying to finish up my half doors before then but weíll see

Old April 7th, 2021, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
I got lucky with the XJ after lions den. After driving it down the mountain with no coolant it sounded like a tractor by time we got it back to camp. Got it home and started to dive in. Turns out it everything was fine. The radiator was fine. The leak came from a cracked flush T I had installed years ago and a warped thermostat housing. Replaced the hose and housing with a new thermostat and she ran like a top. Fixed the bare minimum to get it to Morris mountain for thanksgiving for a benefit ride for a friend of ours that passed away. The Jeep did absolutely amazing. Didnít have one single issue out of it and honestly just needs a cleaning and could go out again. I still need to look at the brakes to get them working better but they work. Not sure Iím gonna dove nose the front anymore but will definitely be adding some more tube to the front to keep this from happening again. Didnít get any pictures from Morris unfortunately.

With me getting married on the 12th and starting a new job at the beginning of the year Iím not sure when Iíll be able to get to do much to either of the jeeps for a little while but it will get done.

Crazy how far they can make it with a bad water leak. Ran mine empty after water pump went about 3 miles from camp. Made it back to camp, replaced the pump and kept driving it rest of the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old April 9th, 2021, 20:27
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

I really like this build.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old April 30th, 2021, 11:19
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Crazy how far they can make it with a bad water leak. Ran mine empty after water pump went about 3 miles from camp. Made it back to camp, replaced the pump and kept driving it rest of the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah I was surprised! It helped me know that my LJ would be fine when the same thing happened to it on the way to work one morning.. got it there in the red. Let it sit and drove it home after. Fixed it that night and it was good as new

Old April 30th, 2021, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
I really like this build.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks buddy!

Old May 2nd, 2021, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Harlan was fun but cut short do to weather. Only issue I had with the Jeep was that the shifter seized up towards the end of the last day. When I got home I got that figured out and doing so I realized my solenoid switches in the shifter werenít working properly. So getting that fix. Got my doors almost finished up and ready for paint. I got some tube work planned but not sure when Iíll get to that. Other news i did notice another issue this weekend working on the Jeep. My front upper control arm bracket is starting to tear itself apart. Need to find a way to fix that and keep it from getting worse.. Also a little fun thing to add in regards to my shifter. Still not sure if itís gonna work but from my understanding it should. Iím not a fan of not having 1st right behind N with this shifter and with no reverse valve body for the AW4 I had to get to thinking. I added a switch to turn to put first when in D. Iíll do short write up once I confirm it works.