• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 XJ CA Legal LS Swap

Rockwood

NAXJA Forum User
I don't really have anything to add to the thread discussion, but I have to say, I very much enjoyed reading your LS swap introduction. I found several bits downright hilarious (especially where you compare AMC's "Soviet Overkill" with Chrysler's "send that @#$& to the moon" approach, not to mention your commentary on the 1997 models, which seem to be much more of a rival for the 1996s in the "worst XJ year to try and get parts for" competition than I thought.

Have you considered a "build thread" here that just links back to each installment on that other site (so you don't have to post it twice)?
Thanks for the feedback! :D

But yeah, probably better than continuing discussion in other threads, and a lot of the info would obviously help this community (from which I've learned quite a lot):

Part 1:

https://motoiq.com/jeep-ls-swap-part-1-introduction/#comment-49707

Thanks - have subscribed so I don't miss updates.

I found your MKIV Jetta TDI project a fun read as well, as my daily driver's an 02 Jetta TDI.

Thanks - have subscribed so I don't miss updates.

I found your MKIV Jetta TDI project a fun read as well, as my daily driver's an 02 Jetta TDI.

Us cheap bastards aren't exactly original are we...? :D

That car is long gone for me. New owner says it's cleared 300k and still running strong. Just bought a 2020 Mustang GT PP1. Not 50mpg, but 21mpg average so far and merging onto the freeway isn't like qualifying anymore :D

Us cheap bastards aren't exactly original are we...? :D

That car is long gone for me. New owner says it's cleared 300k and still running strong. Just bought a 2020 Mustang GT PP1. Not 50mpg, but 21mpg average so far and merging onto the freeway isn't like qualifying anymore :D

Not so much, I guess. I certainly liked the idea of >40 mpg, considering my commute is 500 miles/week. That, and I think the power curve of the ALH TDI is very similar to the 4.0...

My Jetta turned 422k miles last week, it's getting a new timing belt on Monday.

The mustang sounds like a sweet ride. Considering the engine that thing's got, 21mpg probably isn't too bad, but I bet the right driving style could get you up by 25...

Not so much, I guess. I certainly liked the idea of >40 mpg, considering my commute is 500 miles/week. That, and I think the power curve of the ALH TDI is very similar to the 4.0...

My Jetta turned 422k miles last week, it's getting a new timing belt on Monday.

The mustang sounds like a sweet ride. Considering the engine that thing's got, 21mpg probably isn't too bad, but I bet the right driving style could get you up by 25...

Yeah, YMMV. Mine involves daily drives up/down mountain 2-lanes, so mileage always suffers for me. I did return 25mpg on a couple of tanks, but 21mpg lifetime average (which was very much compromised right after it cleared the 1000 mile breakin) isn't bad for 440whp.

Back