• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Acting Weird

I'm kind of going through something similar, so curious what you find with the mechanical gauge

Picked up a set of mechanical gauges at the Chinese tools shop... Maddux brand w/all the bits and pieces needed. Hooked them up and it was reading a solid 15 psi right after I removed my Oil Pressure Sensor that was showing ~ 9 psi on my dash gauge. Revving the engine up to ~ 2000 rpms and the gauge shows near 50 psi. Let the jeep sit and idle for ~ 10-15 minutes while hooked to the Manual gauge, revving and letting idle, revving and idling... trying to simulate driving.

Pressures never dropped below 12-13 psi on the mechanical gauge. So I changed out the Sensor w/a new one from Rockauto, Vemo brand. Hopefully that's a good one. Couldn't find an actual Mopar branded sensor... so we'll see. New Vemo gauge is showing ~ 11-12 psi on the dash gauge. So it's close... and now we'll see how it goes.

I'm also running Rotella T6 5W-40W so I may go up a bit in Viscosity and see if that helps. It doesn't get Super cold here in Tulsa OK... so I may just let my XJ warm up a bit more in the AM during the Winter months... but I think I'm good to keep driving her for a while. Good to know the Mechanical gauge readings now.

Its low but it is the mighty 4.0; for the most part if it stll has oil pressure it will keep going indefinitely. Might throw a quart of Lucas in there every oil change.

Its low but it is the mighty 4.0; for the most part if it stll has oil pressure it will keep going indefinitely. Might throw a quart of Lucas in there every oil change.

I have ran BG Oil treatment with the last 2 oil changes (including current one) and have another 3K to go before I'm due another change. Think next go around I will go up in Viscosity. Probably add some oil treatment too. Hopefully I still have a few years left on this 182K mile 4.0.

Lots Jeeps have driven lots of miles with oil pressure on the low side.

Back