NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 29th, 2020, 11:25
NAXJA Member

Re: For Those of Us Subject to CA Smog Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Yes, California emissions standards are a pain in the ass. But I grew up in L.A. and remember very well when the sky was brown and it hurt to inhale deeply. Seriously. It was bad! Iím glad to have much better air quality now, even if enforcement is imperfect and if it costs some money to comply. If that makes me a nut, so be it.
Born and raised in San Diego, I remember those smog days of the 70's. It would hurt your chest and lungs to inhale deeply. You wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it. I imagine it was much worse in LA.
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:51
NAXJA Forum User

I live in LA also but but the emission standards of the older cars have little to do with the cleaner air , it is the newer cars that run much cleaner and OBD 2 cars run much cleaner than OBD 1 and that started in 1996 and the air been getting cleaner since then , the smog check system now is a money making thing for the state now and it is away to control what you drive .
Old June 29th, 2020, 13:56
NAXJA Forum User

The part that ridiculous is the extra money paid for the same part because it is CARB approved.
Old June 29th, 2020, 18:50
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCat63 View Post
Born and raised in San Diego, I remember those smog days of the 70's. It would hurt your chest and lungs to inhale deeply. You wouldn't believe it unless you experienced it. I imagine it was much worse in LA.
I grew up in the LA in the 60's and during 'smog alerts', it was even worse, the 70's cars at least had rudimentary emission devices and ran leaner.
I keep my cars a long time and having to test them every other year is a hassle but is the cost of cleaner air, it is so much cleaner than it was when I was a kid.
I'll pay the price.
Now, if we could go back to the population level of the 60's, that would be wonderful, the freeways actually worked all day long.
I hear Idaho is a good place to move.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old July 7th, 2020, 19:24
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Yes, California emissions standards are a pain in the ass. But I grew up in L.A. and remember very well when the sky was brown and it hurt to inhale deeply. Seriously. It was bad! Iím glad to have much better air quality now, even if enforcement is imperfect and if it costs some money to comply. If that makes me a nut, so be it.
Did not grow up in those times, and i dislike California for some issues.. But they have these regulations in place for a reason. Unfortunately us gearheads fit the bill. But its for good reason. And these people that say they hate the state have clearly spent time in the wrong places. Call me a kook, but this state has a lot to offer.
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:21
NAXJA Forum User

Don't get me wrong I like California it does have alot to offer but I hate all the taxes and how much it cost to live here and the way it is run , you try to vote to change things and it never goes the way you want . So I'm looking to move when I retire in a few years .
Old July 8th, 2020, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

The kicker is smog testing an old classic car that is driven maybe 200 miles in two years. I am lucky the test falls in July, as that little convertible is never taken out in the rainy season. Still, it is a huge waste considering the amount the car was driven.

California used to exempt cars 30 years or older, but Rep. Sally Lieber, (D) of Mt. View led the change in the law that ended the 30 year exemption She is the most hated person of classic car hobbyists around here. I got three cars that would have been exempt had it not been for her.

the smog is worse from fireplace heat, and a lot of people do burn woodfires now, even in crowded cities. this is in part do to the high cost of gas and electric, taxed like crazy for global warming, or do to the blackouts caused by poor planning of power plant use, and lack of power line maintenance.
So we now choke on wood smoke in the winter, yet that is ok with the rulers as wood smog is carbon neutral so they say, yet our classic cars are evil and they want them crushed. The state sends me yearly offers to crush my cars in return for $1500 each!
Old July 10th, 2020, 08:03
NAXJA Member

While my Jeep is my daily driver, I don't drive very far due to everything being so close here. My smog check in 2018 was 203804 miles. In 2020 it was 206494. That's a whopping 2690 miles driven in 2 years.

Although retired now, even when I actively worked, I was based out of a home office and most of my out of office travel was to the airport. Over the past 16 years, I avg 3400 miles/year based on the mileage report on my smog checks.
Old July 10th, 2020, 10:25
NAXJA Forum User

yeah, I'm going to stick with kansas. It may be annoying to live in an incredibly red state but I can do what ever I want to my jeep and no one cares! I could swap out 1 ton axles, throw in a carburated 427 with a blower and cut the body down to a tube frame and just send in my yearly payment for tags, lol.
Old July 10th, 2020, 11:33
NAXJA Member #1310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclewolverine View Post
yeah, I'm going to stick with kansas. It may be annoying to live in an incredibly red state but I can do what ever I want to my jeep and no one cares! I could swap out 1 ton axles, throw in a carburated 427 with a blower and cut the body down to a tube frame and just send in my yearly payment for tags, lol.
We can do the same except we use later model engines and matching transmissions, and they run better than the old, carbureted engines, I grew up with carburetors and hated them, fuel injection is one of the greatest improvement in driveability, mileage and emission, win, win, win!

Changing drivetrains isn't the huge deal that out-of-staters make it out to be, once you understand the rules. Southern California has a big off-road scene with many shops installing different engines or high-performance upgrades, there are ways to make it legal.

I live with an within an hour of the Pacific ocean, the mountains and the desert,
none of which Kansas has. What good is a built XJ that doesn't have a mountain to climb or hundreds of miles of desert roads to blast down...just wondering?

Every state has its advantages and disadvantages, My family has lived in-state for four generations and it has worked well for us, you do need to understand how things work, pick a needed, well-paid profession and get the required education and experience.
I'm not talking just about college, a person that becomes journeyman in any of the mechanical or building trades can make a good living here, the problem is too many want desk jobs, a computer and corner office with a window.
01 Sport, Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate