• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK 44s and other Fun Stuff

What did you use for the rear e-brake cables? Can't seem to find any info on making that work with the JK axle.

Awesome build.

This was the way I was planning to go until the TJ Rubi44/8.8 fell in my lap for a price I couldn't say no to.

Still kind of wish I had resisted to get wider axles and better brakes.

....also at full bump checking clearance, I cycled this axle so many times...

Ain't that the truth! I just relocated my TB and PSC ram using the same Ruffstuff TB bracket and wish I had an air assisted jack or something.

I like how you incorporated the sway bar into the steering brace, pretty trick. Boostwerks you listening?

Are you keeping the Front radius arm setup on the new axle? If so... why?

How are you getting away with the coils centered on the axle. I did that and had to cut them off and get offset mounts to make it work. Although i reused all the control arm mounts. They worked fine for me.

How are you getting away with the coils centered on the axle. I did that and had to cut them off and get offset mounts to make it work. Although i reused all the control arm mounts. They worked fine for me.

Why couldn't you make them work? I'm not sure where my wheelbase is at but I did move my track bar mount forward to give the coils more room to sit straight over the axle.

Tires were mounted up over the build, tedious process. 35x12.50R17 BFG KM3s on Method Beadlock 105s.

YFzaFsCl.jpg

VJYAMzhl.jpg

N4jn3tpl.jpg

Why couldn't you make them work? I'm not sure where my wheelbase is at but I did move my track bar mount forward to give the coils more room to sit straight over the axle.

My front is pushed forward about an inch and a half but still used the stock tbar location. That’s probably how you achieved it. My coils bowed pretty good. I would hav had to push it forward like 4-5” more to get them to not bow. I did one run and decided i needed to redo them. The coils would rub on the bump tower when i drooped out.

So with all the fab done time to clean and paint...

Zf2l9ZTl.jpg

wJ0Dwx4l.jpg

U9BGjvRl.jpg

One thing I wanted to address was carrier preload, It pretty much fell out with the caps off. I was able to get .003" shims on both sides, carrier went in nice and tight.

wndwwwWl.jpg

Put in Dynatrac ball joint rebuild kits, neat setup.

2lvch4Bl.jpg

RMG6FMYl.jpg

3n5rBf7l.jpg

Charged the bumps up to 150 PSI

DIq5Jz3l.jpg

qHbEGfpl.jpg

All in

iv7DmNOl.jpg

ihPUzlFl.jpg

nbKe4Kul.jpg

DE11DQ0l.jpg

Drove it around and all seemed pretty good but I still felt like there was more play in the gear box then there should be. I have a PSC HD OE style box but deiced to upgrade to the big bore box tapped for Hydro assist for any future upgrade. PSC claim 30% increase with just the box. It definitely made a difference.

D4sY8SXl.jpg

ybdRXY5l.jpg

ZRnJwuVl.jpg

looks great. love the extra width from these axles, its about perfect.

What is the ride like with those Bilstein's up front?

Great XJ builds are always a turn on for me.

Ride is good. Not sure its all that much different then the 5100s I had before. I have taken it out through some go fast and no complaints really.

I ask because I will be buying a set of the 5160's for my XJ. The 5165 rode very well but those I have are too long for my 4" lift XJ. The adopter at the top did not help either. I will try to get some 255/70 valving with stem at the top and eye at the bottom instead of eye top and bottom.

I ask because I will be buying a set of the 5160's for my XJ. The 5165 rode very well but those I have are too long for my 4" lift XJ. The adopter at the top did not help either. I will try to get some 255/70 valving with stem at the top and eye at the bottom instead of eye top and bottom.

Sooooo... you have some eye to eye 5165s for sale?? Lmk collapsed and extended lengths if so-

Sorry to thread jack.

Finished result looks SEXY!! Nice work Op

Arms were not going to work, I made a bender setup for my press but the arms were still not long enough after bends so I ordered up longer ones from Currie.

JFWV938l.jpg

1ENaj4ll.jpg

Digging the build. My son is in the process of prepping JK axles for XJ truss/mounts for his swap. He picked up a pair of never-installed Rancho Hi-steer JK knuckles for $150.00:looney:

Make sure that you gusset your Anti-Rock arms......mine tweaked at the bends and I had to add gussets.

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

Sooooo... you have some eye to eye 5165s for sale?? Lmk collapsed and extended lengths if so-

Sorry to thread jack.

Finished result looks SEXY!! Nice work Op

Bilstein B8 5165 25-187717
Collapsed Length (IN) - 16.14
Extended Length (IN) - 27.4
Mount Type - Eye-to-Eye
Upper Mount Type - Eye 5/8in
Lower Mount Type - Eye 5/8in

Pmed

I installed today a set that was/is for the JK. Amazing ride. The el-cheepo were as useful a worn out bicycle pump.

I will crunch some numbers and PM you.

Back