• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolls in gear

I can push it 20 feet forward and backwards in park, drive, 3rd and 1-2. It doesn’t just rock back and forth. Would a Brocken parking pawl affect anything besides park? Thank you again for taking the time to give your input.

Yes you definitely have something bad in your parking system. Depending on what broke would determine how it would effect the other gears.

I can push it 20 feet forward and backwards in park, drive, 3rd and 1-2. It doesn’t just rock back and forth. Would a Brocken parking pawl affect anything besides park? Thank you again for taking the time to give your input.

Yes you definitely have something bad in your parking system. Depending on what broke would determine how it would effect the other gears.
There is something wrong, somewhere... Does it do the same thing in 4-Hi/Lo?

I don’t know if this changes anything but I used a transfer case out of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee xj and installed the sye kit in that one. Then installed it in my Jeep.

That won't fix your trans!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t know if this changes anything but I used a transfer case out of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee xj and installed the sye kit in that one. Then installed it in my Jeep.

Do you still have your original tcase? If so swap it back in temporarily and I bet the issue goes away. The issue is not in the trans. You did not damage the park pawl or anything else by running it slightly low on fluid for a bit. The only thing I cam think of other than it being an issue internal to the tcase is that the input on the new case is too short to engage the tail shaft on the trans. This would make it seem like the shift selector on the tcase works but still act as if it's in neutral.

I will try that this weekend. Would that mean the sye kit I put in that transfer case wasn’t for the aw4 transmission? I bought it off a seller on offer up.

I read something about different spline counts for different years. The transfer case with the new retailer sye slide in no problem.

I read something last night about lining up the tail shaft notches and the oil pump. I don’t recall any of this. Could this potentially be an issues?

No, it would cause you to burn up/seize the case but not what your describing.

For those of you saying it's something with the parking pawl, do this: Go put your transfer case in neutral. Start the jeep, put it in drive, then put it in park. You'll hear the noise he's talking about.

What you have here, JMO, is an issue inside the transfer case. On a wild guess, I'd say the shift forks weren't aligned properly and it's just staying in neutral. (Transfer case neutral, that is). You need to take the case back off and crack it open again. Diagnosis without the vehicle in front of you is difficult, but this is a no-brainer. The t-case must come back off, and you need to find out why it's staying in neutral.

Thank you Agreen! I am pulling the transfer case off today after work. I truly appreciate everyone’s help and will let you know what is going on as soon as I know. I truly appreciate the XJ Family willing to help me.

So guys may I start off with apologizing. I’m sorry for not simply checking my work prior to asking you all for help and occupying your time. I am eight months into recovering from being hit on the freeway while riding my motorcycle and working on my Jeep was me trying to get back into motion. I am realizing I am struggling with my memory. The issue was simply the shift for in the wrong location. I pulled the transfer case out today. I will tear it apart tomorrow and put it back together right this time. Hopefully... once again I am sorry and I truly appreciate everyone of you who took the time to chime in. Thank you.

Very nice! I'm glad you found the issue. You can check the operation before reinstalling the transfer case too. Spin the input shaft and check the output shafts as you shift through the ranges. And as was mentioned before, you also need to check the shift linkage for the proper adjustment once it's all put back together.

Pulled it all apart and realized I installed the synchro sleeve backwards. Easy fix if anyone ever encounters these symptoms. Thank you all for your help.

Could it have anything to do with the original transfer case being vacuum and the new one not being vacuum? Is it possible that the computer is receiving the command from the vacuum?

Could it have anything to do with the original transfer case being vacuum and the new one not being vacuum? Is it possible that the computer is receiving the command from the vacuum?

Which transfer case do you have? Most XJ's have the NP-231 but over the years several TC's were used.

Personally, my only experience was to replace the out put shaft with a SYE shaft in the NP-231. According to the manual I have, that TC not complicated at all. Some others with AWD and/or vacuum operated could be a bit more finicky to repair, (I think).

You may be able to get more help if the group know exactly what you are working with.

Back