• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap 98 daily driver build

Well decided to get my headliner in today instead of my seats and console due to deciding it would be much easier with nothing in the way. Definitely the way to go. Looks and smells a lot better lol. Haven’t decided if I am going to paint the lights and speaker grills black or leave them multicolored. What do y’all think? My seats are completely disassembled and un-upholstered so I could clean the nasty suckers. Reassembling those comes tomorrow!

c4fcb495db7ab249c48d7b0a461f23c1.jpg

2d8468735d28a97cc2b7544904e5a7e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My seats are completely disassembled and un-upholstered so I could clean the nasty suckers. Reassembling those comes tomorrow!

Are you putting the old seat covers back on, or replacing them? The reason I ask is that I've been looking at replacement covers for my '99 Limited because the DS seat bottom is pretty torn up. So if you're replacing the covers I'd be curious to know where you found them and how well they fit.

Yah I got the stock ones cleaned up great besides the usual rip in the drivers side vinyl. I am going to put them back on and may look into some quality covers in the future. I wasn’t able to find any that were decent priced that looked like they fit well.

I wasn’t able to find any that were decent priced that looked like they fit well.

Exactly my experience. And I really don’t want to spend $200 for a full set when I really only need one seat bottom cover.

I’m going to pull the DS seat out of the rig today and take the seat bottom to an auto upholstery shop to get an estimate. Without paying the extra labor to have them deal with installed seats, maybe the cost’ll be reasonable. And my rig, though street-legal, is only used for wheeling, so I don’t care a whole lot if the seat bottoms don’t exactly match the backs.

Well I got my brackets all cleaned up and painted with rust reformer due them being on the rusty floor board. Got the seats all put back together and reinstalled. They look good as new for the most part. Got my new console bracket from DirtBound due to the stock one being broke and got it along with the console reinstalled as well. Cleaned every trim piece before it went back in so the interior is finally complete and clean!

d706f41a6c06717226a5ab8e55a2e538.jpg

09d75071a113391343f62724b4cf8239.jpg

Well I got the Jeep to run for the first time in almost a year and a half! Half very little old gas that sat in it so I treated it with StarTron first and then added another 8 or 9 gallons of fresh gas to it. I built pressure up in the fuel rail and bled it through the valve several time to get as much crap out as I could and then primed it and got it to fire up! I only ran it for a about a minute to have a look and listen, then I shut it off. I changed the oil, and put a new serpentine belt and tensioner pulley on it cause it was making some noise. I also added some power steering fluid cause it was low and whining. Pics of the dirt engine bay and new belt and pulley. I also noticed this Jeep is missing the electric fan, so I guess I will have to get one of those as well.
fe5af24ad7a33d4c25ebe58be5a0785d.jpg

43faa4cf5ff0faf4afd8ed8955c0647a.jpg

Here is a pic of the new exhaust. They previous owner cut the wires to the down flow O2 sensor so I have a new one of those coming as well. Here are pics of my shorty but working flux core welding job. (Didn’t bother to clean it).
566ecc0f4356016e345728c2534a0419.jpg

73a1ca312639de748323e57983a46eb8.jpg

I also had a weird no start issue where I would get one hard clunk to from the starter but that was it. If I pushed in hard and jiggled the key while turning to the start position, I could get it to turn over some. I could also pull my key out while the Jeep was running so I knew that my key and ignition/lock cylinder were worn. Traced the problem to either be the ignition cylinder and/or the ignition switch. So I bought both and replaced both. Jeep now starts no problem. Here is pic of new cylinder after install. Super easy so didn’t take pics during.
7166c243c78f16dc69da376618ff188c.jpg

I am now working on getting the title and stuff done so that I can finally drive it for the 2nd time. First being the day I bought it now far from the house hahaha. I have selected most of my lift and will be posting them soon to get recommendations on anything I need to change. Thanks!

Well I truly failed at keeping this updated like I had originally intended. I have done more work to this thing than I could even attempt to remember as far as preventative maintenance goes. Got wheels and tires as well as a lift on it. All new front end with heavy duty tie rod and adjustable trac bar. DIY front winch bumper. LED headlights. Installed a radio, amp, sub, and new speakers. Trimmed rear fenders haven’t gotten to front yet.

Still have to do the DIY back bumper, build a roof rack, and replace my torque converter (new problem). Overall really enjoying this thing!

d24dee3799bf6e0ca687a800dc7e97f0.jpg

I sure hope that you grind those welds clean!

I may at some point but not too worried about it right now lol.

It looks like a bunch of Texas Cowpatties all stack in a row, I don't know how you could live with it!

Back