• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad gas mileage 10-11 MPG

Ever pulled the distributor cap and looked inside?

Don't use starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks. It can travel whereas carb cleaner and brake cleaner stay a liquid much longer.
A common issue is loose intake manifold bolts. Snug them up as needed.
The vacuum line from the intake manifold to MAP sensor is critical. any slight leak and the fuel mixture goes richer.

What would you be looking for inside the cap, let's say I had a similar issue with MPG.

So after the plugs change 12.7mpg. Will report next tank full, and try to lighten my foot a little too.

Temps reading normal

Your temp gauge on a 96 and earlier uses a separate sender from the ECU, so that doesn't really rule anything out, unfortunately.

87-90 4.0: 3 temp sensors
- 1 in the left radiator end cap to turn the electric fan on (HD cooling option only)
- 1 in left side of block low down for the ECU
- 1 in the back left side of the head on the top for the gauge

91-96 4.0: 2 temp sensors
- 1 in the thermostat housing for the ECU, which now also controls the fan

97+ 4.0: 1 temp sensor. It's in the thermostat housing and the ECU controls the fan as well as sending the data to the instrument cluster

Honestly it sounds like you've gone through most stuff. If there is even a small crack in the exhaust manifold - very common at the 2 to 1 collector - it will suck in air in between exhaust pulses and this will cause the O2 sensor to read leaner than it should no matter how much fuel the ECU dumps in to compensate, because that air doesn't ever meet the extra fuel in any meaningful way until they both end up in the catalytic converter. I've seen an XJ get single digit fuel economy due to this problem and jump to 15-16 after it was fixed.

Your temp gauge on a 96 and earlier uses a separate sender from the ECU, so that doesn't really rule anything out, unfortunately.

87-90 4.0: 3 temp sensors
- 1 in the left radiator end cap to turn the electric fan on (HD cooling option only)
- 1 in left side of block low down for the ECU

91-96 4.0: 2 temp sensors
- 1 in the thermostat housing for the ECU, which now also controls the fan

97+ 4.0: 1 temp sensor. It's in the thermostat housing and the ECU controls the fan as well as sending the data to the instrument cluster

Honestly it sounds like you've gone through most stuff. If there is even a small crack in the exhaust manifold - very common at the 2 to 1 collector - it will suck in air in between exhaust pulses and this will cause the O2 sensor to read leaner than it should no matter how much fuel the ECU dumps in to compensate, because that air doesn't ever meet the extra fuel in any meaningful way until they both end up in the catalytic converter. I've seen an XJ get single digit fuel economy due to this problem and jump to 15-16 after it was fixed.
cool thank you, will check it out

Other things that eat milage: less than perfect ground connections, the sensors need excellent ground connections all the way back to the ECU or else the signals are weak and the ECU responds by richening the mixture. ( poor grounds are why the headlights get dim as XJs age ). Dragging fan clutch will eat a few mpg too.

I hate to tell you this.
but with the 35's and the lift. 10 mpg sounds right.
my stroker gets 8-12 city almost 20 highway. Im running 32's
Agree, I don't think it's that far off

Although new plugs HAVE to help

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Update: Turns out my torque converter wasn't engaging 100% of the time. I'll see if I get new numbers after I do a tranny service, change some other things too.

Last edited:
What would you be looking for inside the cap, let's say I had a similar issue with MPG.

my cap had a failed spring for the center rotor contact . the carbon contact was loose, only gravity caused it to contact the rotor. cap appeared to be perfect other than for the center contact defect.

nah, got the tranny serviced, did a brake upgrade but haven't driven it much.

Back