• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 xj major running issues

Sweet700

NAXJA Forum User
Started as a intermittant sputter and popping between 2- 3000rpm and would run perfect after 3000 rpm.
Progressed to no power to move itself while this is happening.
If i put it into 4 low it will drive fine up to 2000rpm an gets me home.
Last night it got much worse. Started stalling, sometimes it would start with really low idle but no power to move.
Just changed oxy sensor, plugs, wires, cap and button, radiator, gas filter. No changes.
Please help

Seems to begin as a hesitation with quick throttle movements and i can baby it through that and go on.
Then the hesitation gets worse to the point of no start. Seems to improve after sitting

Trying hard to not start throwing parts at it.
I have a fuel pump ordered, had a low reading of 25psi yesterday.
When it's having the issue though there is a strong odor of gas from the exhaust which has me thinking electrical.
Almost ready to just go buy tps, cps, water temp, coil, map

Trying hard to not start throwing parts at it.
I have a fuel pump ordered, had a low reading of 25psi yesterday.
When it's having the issue though there is a strong odor of gas from the exhaust which has me thinking electrical.
Almost ready to just go buy tps, cps, water temp, coil, map

If you're going to start buying things, consider buying a decent meter and test what you've got. The TPS and temp sensors are easy to test. TPS sensor would be the first thing I'd test. Check grounds, etc.

Haven't check the pressure regulator yet other than pulling the vacuum off of it while assessing fuel pressure. Pressure didn't change.
The tps tested good when i checked it but the problem seems the worst when the jeep gets hot from use, not from idling in the shop. I haven't been near home when the jeep is really acting up.

Crankshaft position sensor.

Or its the dreaded Fuel pump ballast.
If you have the fuel pump ballast. its under the dash drivers side. little white looking thing
connect the two wires.

Throw that piece of trash into the street and drive over it a few times.

Actually I want to add to that.
After driving over it.
Smash that thing to smithereens and curse the Idiot who decided the fuel pump was *Too Loud*

I have unplugged the ballast and it has an effect on the idle so i plugged it back in.
I'll try joining the wires with a double female and see how that works.
I had read that crank position sensor would be a no start when it failed but not much about spitting, sputtering, backfiring through intake, no power and strong gas odor.

Address the low fuel pressure and go from there. Crank sensor can have a good read at low engine speeds but break up at higher rpms cauing running issues but can really only be tested with a scope or by replacement.

Just had my low fuel pressure verified by a second gauge.
Turning the key without starting i got 8psi first turn, 15psi second turn, 20psi third turn.
Started it and got 20psi.
Crawled underneath, pinched the return line and got no change, stayed at 20psi.
Pulled the vacuum from the regulator and no change.
Bypassed the ballast regulator and got a 5psi increase to 25psi.
Seems to be damning for the pump.
I
On another note, i showed my dad the old gas filter and he noticed that something was loose inside. i took the old gas filter apart with a hacksaw and the element was loose and therefore not filtering anything.
Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

Thanks for the help and suggestions up to this point.
Now i wait for my new Bosch fuel pump.

Back