• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Any more info on the rear shocks? I was holding some bilsteins from a newer (2008ish) f150 in my hands at the jy and left them because i wasnt sure ... lengths and travel? Valving?

24-185530

10" travel 5100. Listed for a bunch of applications from a 1980 bronco to a 99 f150.

They don't publish valving on the 5100's; but I asked a friend who used to run R&D at Bilstein about it, he told me it should be similar compression to the XJ shock with more rebound damping.

It wasn't something I sought out. Amazon sent me one by accident with my prior shocks, and told me not to bother sending it back. After looking it up and asking about it, I picked up one more so that I wasn't running 6" shocks in the back after the lift.

The width was right. Get some snazzy hvac vents, autometer makes a sweet gauge cluster now for these, ave tada!magic!

h9D21C5A9

I'm digging your Unicorns and the spiffy power stop rotors.

I'm thinking about a brake upgrade before Moab. I just noticed Mr Blane makes a D52 pad that would work great in my front axle. On your D44 rear are you using Explorer 8.8 backing plates, p-brake, rotor and TJ Rubicon calipers and brake pads? If I'm going to order pads from him I'd like to get it right. I did notice the disc brake conversion he sells, won't work on the XJ44. I wondered if you knew why, basicly explorer discs from what I see?

You do anything on the proportioning valve for residual pressure when you went from drum to discs? ZJ proportioning valve swap or remove o-ring? I do notice when I'm on a long decent and dragging the brakes the rears are squeaking when I let off, so I should get off my ass and fix it.

I'm using Crown Vic backing plates (by pure chance) that are basically exactly the same. Explorer parking brake shoes. Crown cables for a late model XJ with explorer brakes. Late model TJ disc brake rotors, pads, and calipers.

Didn't touch the prop valve. May do so after I do the WJ front, but I'll talk to Blaine and see what he says.

Last edited:
Thanks, I emailed Blaine to see if he has any recommendations for me as well.

Bawahahahahaha

you still use that thing? It is useless.....the last one you put on a D44 was bent 7 degrees from right to left because it cannot resist twist. I had to cut it off it was so bad.....lmao

Another 'vortex of vehicular compromise' by Cal build....

Still better than the last several rear ends I have seen you sign off on.

"It rolls the rest is someone else's problem"

Still better than the last several rear ends I have seen you sign off on.

"It rolls the rest is someone else's problem"

Wrong... 'not my rig' is what I say ;)

bawahahaha....not my fault they don't follow the list of things that need to be fixed before using it. Shocks, driveline, axle shaft....just the important things to follow through on...lmfao

Remember kids, temporary means TEMPORARY when it comes to shock mounts!

Any particular reason you didn't use this truss design?

2011-12-11_18-21-39_662.jpg

Like taking a car to be detailed, and getting a list

Now just wash, shampoo and vacuum it...

Excuse me if I dismiss your opinions here. I think I know you too well to take you serious.

Like taking a car to be detailed, and getting a list

Now just wash, shampoo and vacuum it...

Excuse me if I dismiss your opinions here. I think I know you too well to take you serious.

Sure.....expecting someone to have a gourmet meal when they only have pasta always works out in the end....lol

What's your next upgrade? Light bar?

Sure.....expecting someone to have a gourmet meal when they only have pasta always works out in the end....lol

What's your next upgrade? Light bar?

Well you know, when you're the cook...

My next upgrade of course is a high pinion Dana 30.

Well you know, when you're the cook...

My next upgrade of course is a high pinion Dana 30.

Sweet! Those I hear are pretty good axles.

The best!

With wonton steering it should handle 33's!

I should call cavfab!

For such a great set up, I always wondered why no one ever one stock class with it......

Back