NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 16th, 2018, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

Need help...Jeep pulls right on decel

Little background info. Clayton 3 link RE 7" coils 5.5 RE leafs.... Rustys 1" shackles and relocation brackets. I recently retired my off road only jeep and transferred my Clayton 3 link to my DD. right after doing the lift I noticed the jeep has a slight pull left on moderate to heavy acceleration and a fairly good pull right on decel....i am very mechanically inclined and I've looked over everything i can think of 10x but find no issues so here I am asking for some insit. all steering is tight all new heim control arm bushings have no play. An alignment was done by me and is spot on with all numbers perfect tires are brand new as well....I'm at a loss any help will be greatly appreciated
Old May 16th, 2018, 22:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Need help...Jeep pulls right on decel

Do you have a rear lunch box locker? That will cause the left / right pull feel and it will be multiplied by the amount of lift.
Old May 17th, 2018, 03:07
NAXJA Forum User

I have plans for one but as of right now no locker diffs are open
Old May 17th, 2018, 13:07
NAXJA Forum User

i had same issues.

motor mounts?

is your track bar too short?

i was having same issues, i recut and welded my track bar bracket to move it out and it helped, but i am still too short, my pull to the right is still there on decelleration, but not as bad, i am building a new track bar and brackets this coming week as soon as parts are in, i will report back if it solved it completely
Old May 17th, 2018, 22:21
NAXJA Forum User

I would guess it's the bushings on the the leaf springs or shackle. When you accelerate and decelerate there is a lot of torque transferred through those bushings. It might be tough to tell if the bushings are cracked or split/worn without some disassembly. I would make sure the bolts are torqued to spec first if nothing appears obviously worn. If that doesn't work you might have to disassemble. I would think it's more likely the shackle bushings or the rear bushings of the leaf springs.
Old May 18th, 2018, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

Motor mounts are good. The track bar is fairly short. Its got a drop bracket and over the axle track bar mount...its definitly much shorter than the drag link
Old May 18th, 2018, 17:01
NAXJA Forum User

I will check the shackle bushings. Leafs are pretty new maybe 2 wheeling trips and a few hundred street miles. In will check the shackle bushings tomorrow tho.
Old May 19th, 2018, 19:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayzAMC View Post
i had same issues.

motor mounts?

is your track bar too short?

i was having same issues, i recut and welded my track bar bracket to move it out and it helped, but i am still too short, my pull to the right is still there on decelleration, but not as bad, i am building a new track bar and brackets this coming week as soon as parts are in, i will report back if it solved it completely
Approximately, what is length of the track bar and the drag link? I am experiencing some of the same problems every now and then.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old May 21st, 2018, 04:41
NAXJA Forum User

Need help...Jeep pulls right on decel

If you changed leaves you would have seen this, but for anyone else looking, Iíve seen 2 stock XJs in the last few months with a broken shackle and I really couldnít tell until I flexed out the suspension.
Old May 21st, 2018, 18:02
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
If you changed leaves you would have seen this, but for anyone else looking, Iíve seen 2 stock XJs in the last few months with a broken shackle and I really couldnít tell until I flexed out the suspension.
Yea. Good point there. However, my XJ do not have broken shackles. It could have bad leaf spring bushings,....315,000 miles on them or maybe bad transmission mount,....315,000 miles also on it. Engine mounts are Mountain Offroad rubber offerings about 40,000 miles and still vibrate badly at idle although not as bad as 40,000 miles ago.

I have a new set of leaves to put on but,...why it is not done? I guess it is not a priority.

1996 XJ; 4.0L; AW4; NP231; SYE; D30 and D44; ECTED; 4.10 gears; 30X9.5 -15 BFG/AT/KO; 3" lift; Rusty's LCA; JKS ADJ UCA; Kevins ADJ Track bar; Drawtite Front Receiver; Dual Electric Fans; Dual Battaries.
Old May 28th, 2018, 19:41
NAXJA Forum User

Track bar is 27" and drag link is about 36" definitly too far a gap for everyday road driving. Im going to try n fix this first
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154 View Post
Approximately, what is length of the track bar and the drag link? I am experiencing some of the same problems every now and then.