NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Comanche MJ (1985 - 1992) Jeep's Cherokee-based compact pickup technical forum.

Old December 5th, 2017, 16:05
NAXJA Forum User

Re: MJ on 42 Boggers continued

Really liking the doors. Nice job!
Old December 7th, 2017, 16:27
NAXJA Member

If the pictures aren't showing up, most of them are on my Instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/dmaxpwr/
Old December 9th, 2017, 15:19
NAXJA Member

Got to spend half the day in the garage today so I was able to get the passengers side tube door all welded up and I started on the latch mechanism. I also got the final trimming on the fender done and mounted it and the fiberglass nose. Surprisingly everything lines up pretty good considering the truck was flopped pretty hard on that side. I started working on the plating of the fender flairs but still have quite a bit of work to do on them. I don't have any material long enough to plate them with one piece so I'm gonna try and patch two pieces together and see how it looks. If it looks like shit I'll scrap the idea and wait until I can get the sheet metal to do it in one piece. Everything is coming out pretty nice, I don't want to start mickey mousing things now. On the other hand, I have to complete it by next Saturday because I'll be taking it out for some snow wheeling on Sunday, so one way or another it will be done.
Old December 10th, 2017, 17:20
NAXJA Member

Spent most the day in the garage today and am happy to say that I was able to finish installing the new fender and flair. It certainly proved to be challenging to do though. The original set up was just tacked about every 1/4" or so between the fender and flair sheetmetal and then had body filler on it to smooth it out, which made it look perfect. In my infinite wisdom I decided that since I suck at body work and I "NEED" to make everything stronger I'd weld the whole thing 100%. Well that wasn't the best decision , I kept my welds fairly short, about 1.5" and spaced them out quite a bit and let things cool but I had some gaps to fill and ended up warping the shit out part of the fender.

I just need to remind myself that its a wheeling rig and doesn't need to be perfect, I just want it that way. I cleaned up the welds, sanded and prepped the fender for paint and figured that I'd spray bomb the fender for now and paint it right next Spring. Well after seeing it all black (& blue nose & grill) I don't think I can wait until Spring. So I'm contemplating painting to match right away, I just really hate the idea of all that overspray in my garage. And I really hate the idea of trying to plastic off everything. I still have quite a bit to do before next Sunday's run so I guess I'll wait to see how putting the rest of the nose, grill, wiring etc back together goes before I make any kind of decision.

[IMG]Untitled by David Nichols, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old December 14th, 2017, 17:03
NAXJA Member

Ok, the fender & nose are 100% installed. Still black & blue but at least they are on. I figured that I'd drain the front axle before I take the truck out in freezing weather because I know it had quite a bit of water in it. And yup, it was a mess, I don't have time to tear it down and replace seals at this time so it will just be getting a fluid change for now. I also figured it was time to at least research a HD diff cover. I found that Solidaxle.com is having a pretty good sale right now and I ordered a D60 cover for $65.00 . I only ordered it last night and didn't ask for expedited shipping so didn't think it would be here in time for this weekends run so I installed the old cover tonight. When I came in and checked my email, I found out that the diff cover will be here Saturday, I'm defiantly happy about that! I guess I'll be removing the old cover again. I'm also assuming that there will be some modification to the front axle skid plate to clear the cover too.
Old December 14th, 2017, 17:18
NAXJA Member

I've invested quite a bit into garage tools, lighting & equipment the past 6 months or so, defiantly way more than the wife would like. And I just got one tool that I've been wanting for quite a while. I just got the Swag 20 ton heavy duty finger brake kit and I am expecting the dimple dies to come in any day. And of course I don't have anything planned that requires it right now but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Old December 19th, 2017, 17:43
NAXJA Member

Went on a open run put on by Rockaholics last Sunday at Brookridge, its a NEA property in Winchendon, MA. This was in an area that I wheeled 30+ years ago and there really wasn't much there at the time so I was pleasantly surprised to see how many rock climbs and features they had.

The temp sucked! It started out at 6 degrees but finally warmed up to about 20. I don't have heat in the Comanche so the first hour was pretty tough but once the metal warmed up in the cab it was actually pretty comfortable. There was quite a few rigs there ranging from very mild to buggy. The guys running it did a good job and split everybody into 5 groups. There was about 6" or so of snow so it was just enough to make it a little more challenging. I had an absolute blast playing in the snow and can't wait to do it again.

Heres one video, hopefully it works. I'll try to post more later.
https://youtu.be/GUEeIKVw7Ao

Old December 20th, 2017, 16:12
NAXJA Member

MJ on 42 Boggers continued

Nice to see another comanche, your tires dwarf my 36s though lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old December 20th, 2017, 16:48
NAXJA Member

I noticed that I bent the passengers side rear fender flair in a little last Sunday, luckily the flairs are pretty rugged but the top section could use some help so I think I need to beef them up some more. The plan is to ad DOM to to each of the fender flairs and tie them into the frame & cage. I'm hoping that when I'm done I can put the full weight of the truck and then some on them. I have a habit of squeezing my way through things. I'm also contemplating adding some DOM around the roof and bed. I don't really want an EXO cage but I want to try and protect the body a little bit. I've got a few ideas in mind but will play around with trying to mock things up to see what I like the most.
Old January 28th, 2018, 15:42
NAXJA Member

I've haven't been able too do much to the Comanche in the last month or so, been dealing with house /garage stuff like frozen pipes, loss of power in garage, blown out compressor tank etc. I started working in the garage again last week using a generator & 2 gallon compressor.

I pulled the windshield out and repaired the pinch weld in the top passengers corner, this got bashed in pretty good when SkinnyRidge rolled it. I figure that I will probably do the same thing soon enough , so I'm going to be adding some DOM weight, aprox 130' +/-.

After the run I did in the 6 degree weather I realized that I need two things, windshield wipers and a defroster. I was able to cut out the section of tube going from the cab to engine bay and restructure it for the wiper mechanism to clear. I also figured out how to wire the wiper motor to run with toggle switches, what a pain in the ass that was, but I was able to get high, low and park working so it was worth it. As far as the defroster go, I plan to just add the vents before I put a windshield back in and deal with the heat and fan at a later date.

I did some preliminary layout of what I think I want to add for tube to protect the cab, fender flairs and bed area to meet my typical OVERKILL style. So I figured I'd start with blue tape, but every time I added a piece of tape to the layout I would see a potential weak spot. So I would add to it and then see another spot and so on. So this is what I came up with, who knows what the end result will be but this is the starting plan.

I was able to get started on this project today and get the base structure welded into the bed and tied into the frame. I also got the bed rail section started. My bender has a 6.5" CLR so I bought pre-bent sections for the bed rail from Wagner Companies.

https://shop.wagnercompanies.com/elbow-6908

Old January 28th, 2018, 16:42
NAXJA Member

Here's my single stage 3 HP, 60 gallon Craftsman compressor that popped on me . I was lucky and it only blew out about a 3/8" hole and didn't rupture the whole tank. I was originally thinking that I would just weld a patch over the hole until I hit it with a ball-pean hammer and realized just how soft the bottom of the tank was. I guess I can't bitch too much, I bought this new in 1996 and have used it pretty consistently since then. Plus the fact that it's always been in a cold shed or garage (garage is only heated when I use it) so the condensation is pretty heavy and I wasn't very good about draining as often as I should. After finding this I decided to see if I could find a replacement tank and use the old compressor on it. I was even able to find a brand new 100 gallon tank for $100.00 from a buddy, but once I took a good look at the compressor I found that the rod bearings are pretty much gone and it would need a rebuild. Plus it's a single stage 13 or so CFM @ 90 psi unit that is probably producing 1/2 that, so I decided to replace it. I'll be upgrading from the old single stage 3 HP, 60 gallon to a DeWalt two stage, 5 HP, 80 gallon compressor with a 17.9 CFM @ 100 psi and 17.0 CFM @ 175 psi compressor . The new compressor was scheduled to be here last Friday but was a no show, hopefully it will come in by next weekend. For now I'm surviving with my Dad's 2 gallon Emglo compressor, not much air but for now it's better than nothing.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 18:43
NAXJA Member

RANT time: So new compressor was a no show today too . I ordered this thing from Lowe's and I'm not too happy with their communication skills so far. They have now given me two scheduled delivery times and three confirmation phone calls. Both times it didn't show. I blew off work today because I received delivery confirmation for todays delivery last night. When it still wasn't here an hour after it was promised I called the shipping company, they said Lowe's canceled the delivery. I called Lowe's and eventually spoke to the delivery manager. After a bunch of bullshit I found out that they will have it Monday and she will call me to schedule delivery. Any more delays with this thing and I'm canceling the order and ordering it somewhere else. Ok end of rant.

On another note, I was finally able to get the Co-op to get an Electrician here to look at the electric service to the garage, looks like it will be a simple fix, they just need to replace the circuit breaker box below the meter ($500) but I will still have to wait for the Co-op to get it fixed and pay for it. In the meantime I'll continue to power the garage with the generator which I've been doing since the 1st week of January. The only downfall to that are the cost of gas to run the generator and not having enough current to run the plasma cutter which is kind of a bummer. I guess I've been spoiled, I've had access to a plasma cutter for the past 20 years. So now I'm back to cutting with saws and grinders, oh well, at least its temporary.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 19:26
NAXJA Member

I got a little more work done today. I completed the bracing on the s.side rear fender flair so it's now tied into the cage securely. I also did a little more work on the bed cage. I welded the rear 90 degree end sections and fabricated and welded in the base plates for the rear support legs. I'll be using 1.5" x 0.120" DOM for most of the cage and 3/16" plate for all my body mounting points, I'll weld directly to the frame where I can.

I'm hoping that the mini compressor will have enough omph to power the bender, my guess is that it will be slow but should work just fine. I'll try to get the bed cage finished tomorrow and start on the actual cage/XO cage project .
Old February 4th, 2018, 15:33
NAXJA Member

I made up the rear connector tubes for the bed cage, i started making the 3/16" mounting plates for the bed cage and decided that it's just not worth doing until I get power back in the garage and I can use the plasma cutter. Due to the multiple angles and shapes of what I'm trying to make I figure that it will probably take about 30 minutes or so to cut out what should normally take about 5 minutes. I was able to get the the cab bars & A pillar bars made for both sides. I have a very steep notch on a bend that I need to make on the cab bars, probably around 70 degrees or so, that I didn't do yet because I bought a new notcher that should be coming in tomorrow. It should be capable of doing this. I will certainly try to see what its limits are.

Old February 5th, 2018, 18:34
NAXJA Member

I ordered a new tubing notcher and it came in today, I wanted one that would be a little more accurate, work on a curve and do very high angle notches so I went with a Medford Tools SYNC180-Jr. I didn't have much time to try it out but I had to do at least one high angle notch to see how it worked. The notch was mating to a curved section so I still had to grind it out a bit to fit, but I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth it works, there was no chatter whatsoever on this cut. The adjustability is awesome. The 1" shaft riding on roller bearings is way better the smaller shaft with bushings. And the adjustable shaft guide helps too.