NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > 35th Anniversary Celebration! Moab, Utah
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Notices

35th Anniversary Celebration! Moab, Utah Come join NAXJA at the 35th Anniversary Celebration of the XJ. Moab, Utah. October 9-13, 2018

Old December 1st, 2017, 07:48
NAXJA Member #324

Requirements for Registration

What is the policy for signing up for the event? Do you have to be a member? Can someone register and bring a ZJ? I have friend from Michigan that would like to join us for the event that has a ZJ and is not a member.
Thanks. LS1XJ
Old December 1st, 2017, 08:00
NAXJA Member #120

Hey John!

You do not have to be a member to attend the event. We will be offering incentives tho that might make becoming a member a better deal tho. Folks with ZJs are allowed to join and attend!

It will be a little bit until registration starts, but we will spam the info out.

mac Ďsee you in attica in march?í gyvr
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
Old December 1st, 2017, 08:02
NAXJA Member #324

Re: Requirements for Registration

Thanks for the info Macgyvr
Old December 4th, 2017, 13:56
NAXJA Member

Nobody mined my ZJ last time

Old March 19th, 2018, 14:04
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Classic View Post
Thanks for the info Macgyvr
??? Did you buy Johns red XJ? I haven't been in touch with him in a couple years. If so, congrats. What a nice rig.
Old March 19th, 2018, 15:52
NAXJA Member #324

Nope still mine. Bought it new in 1996. Still have it. Getting it ready for Snow Challenge Hill climb the next few weeks.
John LS1XJ20180315_191412.jpg20180314_151913.jpg20180314_152052.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old March 20th, 2018, 18:31
NAXJA Member

So I know the event is a ways off but I would like to see a rough outline of rig requirements for different runs.

Basically I would like to know if I am going to be limited to the super easy runs because I won't be running a lift on my rig. I do have wheeling experience on the con and other difficult trails in the Reno area in my lifted rig but I am building this new rig as something that will teach me better lines and keep everything challenging and fun.

Build breakdown below.

99 limited
NO LIFT (bumpstopped appropriately)
235 MT
Longer front shocks with BPE and JKS adapter top
Rubicon express super flex upper and lower control arms
Stinky Fab racing Motor mounts and trans mount
Stinky Fab racing aluminum steering (Stock replacement)
Open d30 with diff cover, UCA reinforced, LCA skids
8.25 w/ Limited Slip (smoothed/ground/shaved bottom), diff cover, disc brake conversion
Frame stiffeners
2x6 rocker replacement up to door sill
aftermarket front and rear bumpers (rear cut and fold)
Rustys offroad transmission skid
Rustys offroad t-case skid
stock gas tank skid

Hopefully will have
JCR quarter guards
rustys gas tank skid
zj gas tank

I know I am the odd man out since nobody builds a cherokee with full armor and reliability items before a lift which is why I am asking this question now.

_
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console

Last edited by Goose_XJ88; March 20th, 2018 at 18:45.
Old March 20th, 2018, 18:51
Official MWC Brewmeister

If you know how to drive, and have sway bar disconnects to keep that limited slip rear planted, and don't mind using your skid plates and rockers, you should be able to do almost everything short of Pritchett
Old March 20th, 2018, 19:09
NAXJA Member

I cannot speak to the specific trails being planned for this event, but I'd recommend checking out rr4w.com for a description and rating of a bunch of Moab trails and a list of recommended tire sizes and mods for their trail ratings. Then, because of your optimum wheelbase, flex, and underbelly armor, you're going to do fine on the 4-rated trails on their system despite the small tires.

Your rig is capable of plenty of fun in Moab, and you're a lot less likely to have breakage. Only thing I'd add is an easy way to disconnect your front sway bar.
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:03
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesslimited View Post
If you know how to drive, and have sway bar disconnects to keep that limited slip rear planted, and don't mind using your skid plates and rockers, you should be able to do almost everything short of Pritchett
I have no problems using my skids and sliders as i am well aware they are necessary and will be put through the ringer if I plan to wheel a stock rig on tough trails. That is the whole reason I made sure that those were the first mods.

I also am not afraid to be strapped or winched up more difficult or technical obstacles after a few attempts in order to keep the group moving and not be a trail tampon or anchor.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old March 23rd, 2018, 14:45
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Classic View Post
Nope still mine. Bought it new in 1996. Still have it. Getting it ready for Snow Challenge Hill climb the next few weeks.
John LS1XJAttachment 6049Attachment 6051Attachment 6053

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Whoops by me I could have sworn your screen name was ls1xj as well. It's Richie from NJ, we met at Colorado fest11, and again when you came out for nacfest! It sounds like you're coming down to the 35th, Which is great news! I can't wait to tell Carol we look forward to seeing you and (Sandy? Am I right?) again. I'll be bringing a new (old ) rig , should be interesting!
Rich
Old March 23rd, 2018, 14:51
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose_XJ88 View Post
So I know the event is a ways off but I would like to see a rough outline of rig requirements for different runs.

Basically I would like to know if I am going to be limited to the super easy runs because I won't be running a lift on my rig. I do have wheeling experience on the con and other difficult trails in the Reno area in my lifted rig but I am building this new rig as something that will teach me better lines and keep everything challenging and fun.

Build breakdown below.

99 limited
NO LIFT (bumpstopped appropriately)
235 MT
Longer front shocks with BPE and JKS adapter top
Rubicon express super flex upper and lower control arms
Stinky Fab racing Motor mounts and trans mount
Stinky Fab racing aluminum steering (Stock replacement)
Open d30 with diff cover, UCA reinforced, LCA skids
8.25 w/ Limited Slip (smoothed/ground/shaved bottom), diff cover, disc brake conversion
Frame stiffeners
2x6 rocker replacement up to door sill
aftermarket front and rear bumpers (rear cut and fold)
Rustys offroad transmission skid
Rustys offroad t-case skid
stock gas tank skid

Hopefully will have
JCR quarter guards
rustys gas tank skid
zj gas tank

I know I am the odd man out since nobody builds a cherokee with full armor and reliability items before a lift which is why I am asking this question now.

_
I've been tearing across some vicious trails here in the northeast for a while now staying low on 33's with a lot of cut metal and armor, so for one I see where you're coming from! If you have gone that far to do what you've said, I'd say it's clear you know how to drive. Looking forward to meeting you!
Rich in NJ.
PS even more so you can give me some pointers on the Rubicon...that's a definite bucket list item for me and the wife.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 16:30
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock2pus View Post
I've been tearing across some vicious trails here in the northeast for a while now staying low on 33's with a lot of cut metal and armor, so for one I see where you're coming from! If you have gone that far to do what you've said, I'd say it's clear you know how to drive. Looking forward to meeting you!
Rich in NJ.
PS even more so you can give me some pointers on the Rubicon...that's a definite bucket list item for me and the wife.
I wouldn't quite say that I know how to drive amazing but I would say that I definitely understand what is required to be replaced, upgraded, and protected if you want your XJ to last.

And yeh, that is the end goal for the new rig is keep it low and armored on 33s max.

I started wheeling on 4" and 33s with my other XJ so I never really had to pick the best lines and I learned poor driving habits. That rig now has 6"+ of lift on 33s and it just seems too tipsy because of stiff and super arched rear leafs.

Because I wanted to revise every lift component, bumpers, and sliders, I decided to just trade up from renix with no AC to a late model with AC and build it with all the best parts in my eyes.

Since I am still gathering all my lift parts, and want to learn better driving habits, I decided to start as small as I can and have fun learning all over again before lifting this one.

Last edited by Goose_XJ88; March 23rd, 2018 at 16:35.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 16:34
NAC VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesslimited View Post
I've endured a lot of crap for a while about me running Detroit truetracs in my 01. That noise quiets down an awful lot when they see me drive em.
Old March 23rd, 2018, 18:46
Official MWC Brewmeister

I started with a budget boost, 235s and factory limited slip in my nearly new '92 and gradually improved it to RE 5.5", 33s, Currie 9" when I discovered about 15 years ago,went to 35s with a few other mods, then sold it before I trashed it.

Suspension articulation and picking lines that didn't overdo that, enabled me to do the Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim in my '99, that was then the wife's daily driver, with budget boost, 245s, and open axles. Now with minimal lift, 33s and detroits, does Pritchett with way less drama than some of the guys with bigger lifts and tires.