NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 19:24
NAXJA Forum User

Question 96' Track bar mount loose

My son's 96 was making a lot of popping (sounded like someone hitting the frame with a small hammer). I traced it the trackbar mount at the frame. The track bar itself was not loose but the two lower bolts where loose enough to cause the mount to move left & right during any steering input.

The obvious was to tighten to spec which remedied the situation. Other than replacing the hardware all together, are there mods to strengthen this such aftermarket brace or perhaps lay a small weld bead approximately 1/2" long at each bolt location from bracket to frame rail?

Looking for ideas.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 21:52
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 96' Track bar mount loose

The RE set-up uses this............
https://www.quadratec.com/products/1...SABEgJ7qPD_BwE
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:55
Freakish Hand Strength

If the Jeep is stock, simply replacing the hardware and using thread lock on the new hardware is all that is necessary. Some people have welded the stock bracket to the frame. If you think something else needs to be installed, a double shear track bar with a new frame side mounting bracket is recommended. The RE brace is not necessary for a stock Cherokee or for light to moderate 4x4 use, and I doubt it will even fit a stock Cherokee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:06
NAXJA Member

I had that problem with mine and drilled the lower holes to take some larger bolts. I think I used 5/8 bolts. Never had a problem with it like that and works great for a stock Jeep. But if lifted I agree and upgraded bar and bracket is the way to go. I personally would not weld the stock bracket to the body.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 13:50
NAXJA Member #1145

Concur with Tim and the last gent. Additionally, I have heard folks run a front receiver to reinforce the front end.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s