NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 1st, 2017, 08:54
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Re: Dana 30 truss vs sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyman6 View Post
Sleeving is a waste of time. The housing just breaks where the sleeve stops. Seen 2 of them break in the same spot.
Agreed. IMO, the only benefit of sleeving is to make the tubing less likely to dent from an impact, which isn't exactly a huge concern for most.
www.BoostwerksEngineering.com
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
Agreed. IMO, the only benefit of sleeving is to make the tubing less likely to dent from an impact, which isn't exactly a huge concern for most.
so, the safest way is a good truss?
thanks
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csailors View Post
I checked out the truss. Def have to modify that to work with my track bar axle mount.
a better stroke of business would be to chop the track bar mount off, weld a truss down, and tie the mount back into the truss. stronger and less work in the long run.
Old November 1st, 2017, 14:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com View Post
i did the truss, gussets & sleeves, the sleeves mostly to add weight to the front housing . i like heavy metal , it helps keep my front tires on the ground & reduce my mpg as much as possible.
Old November 1st, 2017, 16:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Doubt that would work....if you pull it with the winch, the suspension will just let the whole thing move....need to get it out of the vehicle and on a press or alignment table/plate to straighten it....somehow you need to keep the straight part from moving while you bend the bent part back in line.
Heating where you want it to bend is helpful too. Do you have some unicorn of a rear axle that getting a replacement to build up and swap in when ready is not an option? Sounds like you're just getting started so it may be easier that way.
Old November 1st, 2017, 17:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
Heating where you want it to bend is helpful too. Do you have some unicorn of a rear axle that getting a replacement to build up and swap in when ready is not an option? Sounds like you're just getting started so it may be easier that way.
believe it or not... you can get metal to move miles with heat and compressed air. blasting it in the right spot after heating the right spot
causes rapid cooling, and pulls the metal. water works too. ive straitened different kinds of shafts this way. its quite impressive. no pulling needed.

but i agree. simply replacing the axle would be the way to go.
Old November 1st, 2017, 17:27
NAXJA Member

Just a shaved 8.25 with a spartan locker. But I stripped it all and did POR30 to make cleanup easy for the rest of its days. It just causes a little tire feathering on the drivers side. No real down side. At about 3000 miles a year I can prolly just live with it. I have had no ill effects in 2+ years
Old November 2nd, 2017, 01:40
NAXJA Member

Dana 30 truss vs sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyman6 View Post
Sleeving is a waste of time. The housing just breaks where the sleeve stops. Seen 2 of them break in the same spot.

Sounds like improper length of sleeve. A sleeve should be the same length as the axles tube itself.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 05:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAhasnoWAVES View Post
believe it or not... you can get metal to move miles with heat and compressed air. blasting it in the right spot after heating the right spot
causes rapid cooling, and pulls the metal. water works too. ive straitened different kinds of shafts this way. its quite impressive. no pulling needed.

but i agree. simply replacing the axle would be the way to go.
I'm about to heat and then throw a bucket of cold water on a dent on my motorcycle gas tank in the hopes it pops the dent out. Either that or explosion .
Old November 2nd, 2017, 06:19
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1977p View Post
I'm about to heat and then throw a bucket of cold water on a dent on my motorcycle gas tank in the hopes it pops the dent out. Either that or explosion .
lol.

usually work best on shafts and tubes. might need to be a little more precise too. lol.