NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 31st, 2017, 19:08
NAXJA Forum User

Added LED reverse lights to the XJ-Impressed.

I didn't take any before pictures, as I was too excited to get these in; nevermind the fact that everybody here probably knows what the stockers look like. LED's on a vehicle CAN be a touchy subject, but I wanted to improve the visibility behind me without having spotlights or what-have-you hanging off the rear bumper. I did see a picture wherein someone flush-mounted two thin, rectangular LED assemblies in the lip-That would've been my next step, if this hadn't worked out so well.

These are DuraFlux 2500 Lumen light bulbs, 160W equivalent power. I'm not sure how much amperage they draw, but plan to check in the future. The difference is dramatic-Here's a shot of the vehicle with them on, the view as I back into a space, and with them off.

I'll post some more "professional" pictures soon, with measurements and such under more defined conditions. I'll also entertain requests, should anybody be looking for something more specific.

Jack
Old August 31st, 2017, 20:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Added LED reverse lights to the XJ-Impressed.

Here's a stock photo of the bulbs for reference- They arrived as shown, nice neat solder joints and professionally constructed. Not cheap Asian Pacific Rim garbage. I'm not intending to advertise for this company at all, but these bulbs are what convinced a skeptic and known tight-wad to spend $10.

J
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

Can you give us a part # for those?
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone289 View Post
Can you give us a part # for those?

The eBay listing has "DF-3157" as the part number- eBay item 232334783400.

I am not affiliated with the seller of the above eBay item. A google search of "DuraFlux 3157" brings up other sources as well.

J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 1st, 2017, 15:07
NAXJA Forum User

Did you have to do any ballast / capacitor, or were they simple plug and play? I wouldn't mind some additional back up lighting for night wheeling.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 05:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrayham View Post
Did you have to do any ballast / capacitor, or were they simple plug and play?

They're plug and play, absolutely no modification necessary. Generally, you'll only need a resistor/etc if replacing turn signal bulbs or brake/turn(or hazard) combo bulbs.

J

Here's another shot:

Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:51
Mostly Harmless

I am guessing, from the shape of the bases of those bulbs, that yours is a late model ('97+).

And those years at least have a big enough lens to get some light through it.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:31
NAXJA Member

Not trying to hate but I am not a fan of all the recent hyper bright led lights. It sucks being on the receiving end of them. I known they are just back up lights but I had someone pulling out of a parking spot and the lights were pretty much eye level, I was seeing spots afterwards.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I am guessing, from the shape of the bases of those bulbs, that yours is a late model ('97+).

You'd be right, 2000.

Iwannadie- I appreciate the input greatly. I was concerned as to the brightness of hr bulbs, I certainly wouldn't put in LED headlights- They are quite bright. Typically I'm just backing up into my garage at night, but when I'm out and about, I'll keep that consideration in mind.

J

Old September 5th, 2017, 05:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzzerdd View Post
You'd be right, 2000.

Iwannadie- I appreciate the input greatly. I was concerned as to the brightness of hr bulbs, I certainly wouldn't put in LED headlights- They are quite bright. Typically I'm just backing up into my garage at night, but when I'm out and about, I'll keep that consideration in mind.

J

Brightness isnt the issue for headlights. It is having a proper cut off, or beam. Nice led headlights will not blind oncoming traffic. There is nothing wrong with led headlights, and they are some of the best money spent on these old jeeps imo.
Old September 5th, 2017, 11:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Jelly View Post
Brightness isnt the issue for headlights. It is having a proper cut off, or beam. Nice led headlights will not blind oncoming traffic. There is nothing wrong with led headlights, and they are some of the best money spent on these old jeeps imo.
Correct. It is the people sticking improper light sources in housing that are not designed for them. The people with HIDs in stock halogen housings that blind everyone and aren't even throwing useful light down the road for themselves but wow they sure "look" bright and "cool". /rant
Old September 5th, 2017, 19:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Jelly View Post
The issue I've run into is finding quality bulbs that will give the proper beam pattern. I've read many threads here about it, probably would go with the trucklites. Right now I have the brightest standard bulbs that Napa had available, Wagner brand. They're OK, but the Sylvania UltraStars in my wife's car are much brighter.

J

Edit: Note, I have not yet upgraded my OEM headlight wiring harness. I'm sure to get through the winter on the bulbs I have now AS LONG as I do the wiring this fall. I don't want to put $360 of headlights on the front of the Jeep, only to have them knocked out in an icy parking lot.

Last edited by Yzzerdd; September 5th, 2017 at 19:27.
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzzerdd View Post
The issue I've run into is finding quality bulbs that will give the proper beam pattern. I've read many threads here about it, probably would go with the trucklites. Right now I have the brightest standard bulbs that Napa had available, Wagner brand. They're OK, but the Sylvania UltraStars in my wife's car are much brighter.

J

Edit: Note, I have not yet upgraded my OEM headlight wiring harness. I'm sure to get through the winter on the bulbs I have now AS LONG as I do the wiring this fall. I don't want to put $360 of headlights on the front of the Jeep, only to have them knocked out in an icy parking lot.

When you get your harness, don't skimp and get that crappy putco harness. Spend money once and do it right the first time and get the ARB or another higher end harness.
Old September 6th, 2017, 21:50
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacist View Post
When you get your harness, don't skimp and get that crappy putco harness. Spend money once and do it right the first time and get the ARB or another higher end harness.
Susquehanna Motorsports...