• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brake upgrade for a 2001 XJ... Simplified?

WJ Knuckles
WJ Calipers (teeves)
Farmer Johnson Offroad spacers
Go-fer-it knuckle inserts
RHD WJ drag link TRE (P/N 52088512)
GM 1ton pitmam arm TRE (drop pitman alreaded reamed for 1 ton)
WJ lower ball joints
Iron Rock Offroad WJ/XJ rotors
Clayton OTK track bar bracket
4'x1.25" x.120 DOM (rebuilt RE trackbar)
7/8" x18tpi x 1" ID tube end for drag link to run GM pitman TRE.
Stock WJ tie rod, removed 4" from center, sleeved, and welded. Moved over knuckle.

picture.php

I'm in the process of de-rusting a 2001 XJ & Installing the WJ brake/steering up grade at the same time, I went to install new unit bearings & the Bolts seem a bit short, The threads go right up to the back edge of the hub, Seems secure enough, But I would prefer that some thread makes it through.
Without the 1/4" spacer there would be 1/4" of thread sticking out the back of the Hub.
Is it OK to use these bolts (Maybe use some Blue Loctite for piece of mind)
or should I order some longer bolts?

Are you asking if you can install the unit bearing with out the spacer? If so, no you need the spacer to align the pivot point of the knuckle and the u joint. As long as thread is engaged to the end of the hole you should be fine.

Are you asking if you can install the unit bearing with out the spacer? If so, no you need the spacer to align the pivot point of the knuckle and the u joint. As long as thread is engaged to the end of the hole you should be fine.

I ordered longer bolts, I was not comfortable using the short bolts.
No I was not asking about spacer use, I welded it in place as required.
Thanks

Thats all an aspect of how you setup your trackbar.

I always use a stock pitman arm.

Thats all an aspect of how you setup your trackbar.

I always use a stock pitman arm.

Using the JKS Axle bracket top hole & the. RE frame bracket, the drag link @ the pitman arm seems to be about 1" higher than the track bar connection.
A ZJ pitman should line up drag link & track bar on frame side.
What do you think?

Front brake Hoses, I have a pair of 95 Chevy truck front hoses (ACDELCO 18J2677) they are plenty long, BUT it looks like they are going to contact the tires at full turn, Is it safe to use a tubing bender to bend the tube on the caliper end inward to keep the hose away from the tire? take a look at the photos below.
What Brake lines work best with the conversion? Can someone recommend some stainless braided hoses? PS: My XJ sits at 4.5" lift.
18J2677_Alternate1__ra_p.jpg
18J2677_Primary__ra_p.jpg

You don't need a tubing bender. I use those same brake lines on the team naxja car.

Just bolt everything up, and then bend them with your hand. They hold up fine.

Hey Guys

Sorry to kick the dead horse but after reading this thread till my eyes bleed, I’m still unclear on a couple things

1997 Jeep Cherokee country 4.0l automatic with abs brakes d30 front lsd d35 rear 4-5” lift with rubicon express adj tracbar Abs is deleted (abs pump removed)

1. Do I have to relocate the trac bar above the axle tube with my Rub Exp adj trac bar
2. Can I use the OE WJ steering linkage on the xj dana30 (hime joints are illegal on road going vehicles in my area of Canada and i want to be able to pass inspection)
3. Bonus question will my abs axle shaft effect this upgrade

Hey Guys

Sorry to kick the dead horse but after reading this thread till my eyes bleed, I’m still unclear on a couple things

1997 Jeep Cherokee country 4.0l automatic with abs brakes d30 front lsd d35 rear 4-5” lift with rubicon express adj tracbar Abs is deleted (abs pump removed)

1. Do I have to relocate the trac bar above the axle tube with my Rub Exp adj trac bar
2. Can I use the OE WJ steering linkage on the xj dana30 (hime joints are illegal on road going vehicles in my area of Canada and i want to be able to pass inspection)

I run the WJ brakes on my 2k with all factory XJ steering.

Hey Guys

1. No, as far as I know. That would be only for cross over steering setup.
2. No, the part is 5 inches to long. I looked at cutting one, but thought it looked weak. I went with Ruff Stuff's Chevy 1-ton kit. I did have to use an OTK track bar.
3. I doubt it. Should be OK to use. I do plan to do the same. I might even try and put ABS onto a Non-ABS XJ.

Here's something I email to a coworker.
WJ Knuckles- Left and Right
¼ Weld on Spacer- JKS, IRO, Ironman 4X4 Fabrication, Stinky Fab and others – need these to keep the U-joint in the axle spaced correctly
00-01 Jeep Cherokee Bearing Hubs. These are at the proper height for this to work.
WJ lower ball joints. These are needed to match the taper in the WJ Knuckles. The uppers are the same for the XJ and WJ. I used Mevotech TTX lower ball joints.
WJ Brake brakes calipers (Akebono type 03-04, not Teaves), WJ pads, WJ caliper bolts. I think I needed some extended bolts, as a spacer might be required for the spacing of the Calipers.
Brake rotors: I’ve read more than a few of the write ups. Some will mention a Ford rotor. I saw some issues, mainly the OD of the rotor was small. I never really checked into that. So, either redrill WJ rotors for 4.5 on 5. These will need a ¼ space for the calipers. IRO has some. I had to use some when I went with 5 on 5 WJ rims and rotors. The 07-08 Nitro and Liberty rotors are a bolt on. I do not remember using caliper spacers with them. The rotors are 3mm smaller OD than the WJs. So, 1.5 or 1/16” less radius. My pads were even with the OD of those rotors. Worked good. I felt confident using them. There are plenty of tight turns and long ways down over the hill in WV. So, they have been tested.

The stock XJ tie rod ends taper should match the ones on the WJ knuckles. I went with Chevy 1-ton cross over steering. I had to use an Over The Knuckle Track bar.

Back