NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 10th, 2016, 23:30
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Jeep died/won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
That is not possible in the intake manifold areas where the vacuum is created. You must have been testing an area blocked with a check valve?
It was at where the vaccum bottle is that is in the bumper, but I relocated it to the engine bay because of an aftermarket bumper. I guess that area is blocked by a check valve then?
Old June 19th, 2016, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

Leaving work, my '93 XJ backed up 30 feet & died....wouldn't start.
Turned out to be a dead ignition coil.
Old June 19th, 2016, 11:15
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwat96 View Post
It was at where the vaccum bottle is that is in the bumper, but I relocated it to the engine bay because of an aftermarket bumper. I guess that area is blocked by a check valve then?
Has to be, yes.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old June 19th, 2016, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Kin Jones View Post
Leaving work, my '93 XJ backed up 30 feet & died....wouldn't start.
Turned out to be a dead ignition coil.
Jeep had a problem with their ignition coil supplier around 1993.
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:02
NAXJA Forum User

I've had the same problem with my 98 Jeep. I have a new fuel pump and pickup strainer. I've also had the CPS replaced. Then he wrapped the full rail in heat wrap because of a published notice from Jeep regarding a vapor lock in the fuel rail around #3 injector. Also used a lab scope to graph the waveforms of the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. All that and the ignition coil were ok. The 5 volt reference signal was ok also. Any other ideas?
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krruiz View Post
I've had the same problem with my 98 Jeep. I have a new fuel pump and pickup strainer. I've also had the CPS replaced. Then he wrapped the full rail in heat wrap because of a published notice from Jeep regarding a vapor lock in the fuel rail around #3 injector. Also used a lab scope to graph the waveforms of the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. All that and the ignition coil were ok. The 5 volt reference signal was ok also. Any other ideas?
Clean the sensor ground, which is at the dipstick bolt, and do so very thoroughly. After that smear it all up with dielectric grease. Doing this fixed all of the weird no start, dying and poor running quirks I was getting intermittently. My connection was loose and dirty, so remove it as a possibility before doing anything else.
Old July 13th, 2016, 16:44
NAXJA Forum User

Very informative thread! Dealing with a '93 XJ no start with power to nothing except key buzzer. My son said someone helped jump him in which it ran for 45 seconds then died. Battery is 3 months and is holding 12.7 volts. I thought ign switch to no avail. i'll be looking over some of the other things you all mentioned above. Thanks didn't mean to hijack, just saw some people with experience!
Old August 26th, 2017, 21:27
NAXJA Forum User

Great thread. Having some of the same issues with my 89 renix after doing a head swap. Ran fine and drove for about mile then died. Then about eight hours later after work it started up fine but didn't have much power on the hills back home. I'm gonna check the grounds again tomorrow and make sure they're clean considering I found a bad ground on my MAF sensor and fixed it. Lots of info and great ideas.