• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red loctite, 2 winch bolts broken

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm a genius that red Loctite in my winch to my bumper. I spent 10 minutes on one bolt with a burnzomatic propane torch then hit it with a breaker bar in the bolt sheared off. I tried the next bolt heat the crap out of it then loosen tighten loosen Heat and repeat. This goes a little better for a while then the bolt shears off.

I got two bowls left on the front side of the winch what the heck do I do to get these things off?

Re: Red loctite, 2 winch bolts broken, need wiser help

sorry for the phone text illiteracies, the two front bolts are still left. its grade 8 hardware. I tried drilling out one of the broken ones to learn how it would go. uggggh slow slow slow.

does the propane torch not get hot enough? i googled propane torch temp, thought i was good, but it only barley lets these move until they break

torch should work. you don't need that much heat to kill loctite.

try a 1/4" impact. the vibration will help break the loctite free.
a 1/4" one shouldn't be strong enough to snap the head off.

i guess the back two i couldnt get enough heat on even holding the torch on the bottom of the bolt for 10 minutes each.

the front two i was able to get direct heat contact on and less than a minute they came off with the easy out no problem.

Back