NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 30th, 2017, 14:43
NAXJA Forum User

Slight hesitant starting

I did a home brew cable upgrade. 2ga welding cable with copper crimp lugs. I have a sound system and plain on a winch and more lights. But today after work it was hot and muggy so I turned the air on, headlights on because it was starting to rain( state law requires headlights in any precipitation) and decided to really use the 2 12inch subs. I look down at a stop light and see 10 volts. Turn the subs down, switch to markers and turn the blower down to 1 and it comes back up. Seems like it's time for a bigger alt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 1st, 2017, 09:03
NAXJA Member

Re: Slight hesitant starting

ok, let me ask this then. as i see these pre made kits, they all seem to be the same gauge wire. is this bad not to have the smaller gauge wire which you say will short? is this a safety feature or can all wire be replaced with a single gauge wire.
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
ok, let me ask this then. as i see these pre made kits, they all seem to be the same gauge wire. is this bad not to have the smaller gauge wire which you say will short? is this a safety feature or can all wire be replaced with a single gauge wire.
The smaller gauge wire on these pre-made cables will just be physically shorter, it won't electrically short if you put everything together right.

Yes, you could probably replace those wires with larger gauge ones if you had everything to put it together and I did run across some pictures of guys who had done this on their rigs. Me, I don't see the point on a stock XJ. The biggest benefit to larger gauge wires is that they can handle more amperage. But like I said the smaller gauge wire on these parts store cables attaches to a stud by the fuse box. I also know that there's a bit of fusible link wire that attaches to this stud (I think it feeds the whole fuse box.) As the name implies, fusible link wire is a special kind of wire that acts like a fuse. If too much amperage passes through it, it melts and goes open. Sure, a larger gauge wire to the fuse box will be able to pass more amperage, but if the fusible link wire can't handle the extra amperage, what's the point?
Old July 1st, 2017, 21:58
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNoob View Post
When I replaced my battery cables, I just got the shortest, universal fit, 4-gauge parts store cables I could. Bought them from O'Reilly's (my buddy I went to school with was the night-shift manager at the store closest to me. He used to hook me up with the military discount even though I've been out for years. ) Surprisingly, the ones I got were made in the U.S. The terminal fit was always pretty tight, but no biggie. Hindsight being 20/20, I would've soldered the ring terminals on and covered them with heat shrink tubing. If you wanna get crazy and run bigger cables, I'd say go for it.
The military disco. also applies to veterans. So, use-away. Haha
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.