NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 19:59
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Re: The Lab Rat - SFR's R&D Comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSequoia View Post
Holy hell did you cut the carpet out with the help of a blind squirrel?
LOL, the carpet in this thing is nasty and I have a brand new carpet kit ready to go in so I wasn't exactly focusing on making it pretty. Just gonna end up throwing it away anyways.

Motor Mounts, Fabrication tools, and Custom stuff for your Jeep!
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:38
Coffee Drinker

Quote:
Depends on how much whiskey I've had by then.
I figured since it was cinco de mayo you'd be having margaritas.
99 4.0/AW4/231 8.25/D30 ARB's 4.56's 33's deavers and a few other things.

Click here to join the red team
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyFab View Post

Also finally got around to making a GPS mount so I don't get lost, as well as bolting one of our SFR Baofeng Radio brackets to the dash for a simple communications solution.

where did you mount the transducer for that fish finder?

jk. nav is cool.
Old May 5th, 2017, 11:54
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Lowrance is the GPS of choice for basically every desert race team.

That said the transducer this one came with is mounted on the bottom of my boat.

Old May 5th, 2017, 12:55
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
FYI another point about the Heli-Coils is they are not made for through-holes, there is a different, far more expensive product for that. You can use Heli-Coils on through holes, though, if it's a deep enough hole. To do this when you drill it you stop short, only drilling to the depth of the coil itself. Then you tap it the same and all will be good.

If you drill and tap all the way through you end up running the likely risk of the whole coil spinning out the backside of the hole. Found that one out the hard way years back. :-/
Not if you use red loctite to hold the helicoil in place and give it time to set before reassembling.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old May 5th, 2018, 19:23
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Well, it's Cinco de Mayo again, and I've been a slacker with no updates for you fine folks recently. To recap what's happened in the last year......not much. I took it to socal fest last year and had a bunch of fun on the trails, but the motor developed a bit of a smoking problem, along with a slight knock. Turns out that it had somehow burned 5 quarts of oil in just a couple thousand miles. Not good. I parked the truck for a number of months while I worked on other things, then pulled it out of storage when my girlfriends car was in the shop for a while. She drove it for a bit over a week before the water pump failed and it overheated badly.

This is not the end however. I had Russ at Bishop-Buehl Racing engines put together a stroker kit for me that I'll hopefully be assembling soon. I've also developed and released our new 3 and 4 link long arm suspension systems, which will be added soon, and I'm about to test fit our new heavy duty trans crossmember and skid plate, so there's lots more in store for this little truck.

I also realize that photobucket decided to ruin the internet this past year and that none of the pics in this thread are working for most of you. I'm working on a fix for this as well, so if you haven't been following along hopefully you'll be able to catch up soon.

Old May 8th, 2018, 21:56
NAXJA Member

what specs did you go with on the stroker? Mine engine is getting weak and I need to do something asap.

I'm liking your link kits, need something like that for my Grand.

I did get your trans-mount installed and a new crossmember made, works great. Did have a slight issue as I ordered the centered version but I actually needed the offset, so ended up just welding the lower portion to the crossmember. Those are some good bolts you used.

Last edited by Weasel; May 9th, 2018 at 16:12.
Old May 8th, 2018, 22:30
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

To be honest, I don't even have all the specs just yet. I gave Russ a call and discussed what I was planning to use the truck for, my needs (like passing CA smog tests) and let him run with it. I've driven enough of his engines to know that it's going to be a beast when it's all done. The parts sure are pretty too.

This won't help you now that you've already welded it in, but we actually revised the design of our trans mounts a few months ago. The new version 2.0 can be assembled 2 different ways to replace both offset and centered mounts. No more issues with ordering the wrong one anymore!

Old May 9th, 2018, 16:01
NAXJA Member

Cool, I should call Russ and just chat with him. Bummer he's so far away makes sending anything to him and back though.
Old May 9th, 2018, 22:00
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Cool, I should call Russ and just chat with him. Bummer he's so far away makes sending anything to him and back though.
Shipping entire engines is a bit tough, and spendy, which is why he does the engine kits. He supplies all the internals and the head, and you reuse your existing block. He gives you a card with all the specs to take to your local machine shop so everything goes together just right.

I'm lucky that I'm nearby and was able to have him machine a block for me, but I purposely got it as a kit because I wanted to do the assembly. Partially so that I could learn something new myself as I've really never done a complete bare block engine build, and partially to document the process and show everyone else what it entails.

Old May 10th, 2018, 09:53
NAXJA Member # 13

I had my head stripped, cleaned and magnafluxed for cracks and it's ready to ship to Russ to perform his porting voodoo, along with the intake. Shipping the head from UT to CA via UPS is going to run me just under $70, fwiw.
Old May 10th, 2018, 23:55
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyFab View Post
I'm lucky that I'm nearby and was able to have him machine a block for me, but I purposely got it as a kit because I wanted to do the assembly. Partially so that I could learn something new myself as I've really never done a complete bare block engine build, and partially to document the process and show everyone else what it entails.
Hop to.

I'm going to do this at some point and I want to have your writeup.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:28
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

I've been working with Cal on fixing all the broken photobucket links in this thread so that it's not completely useless anymore, and in doing so I realized that I never actually posted any pics of the first trail run! This is ridiculously late, as it was at socal fest nearly a year ago, but better late than never I suppose.

Thanks to David Taylor Photography for getting some good shots for me.

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:42
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I, for one, would sure like to have a dead pedal for my XJ. I'd make one myself if I had even minimal fabrication tools, but I don't. I'll gladly lend you my '99 for design purposes if you think it'd be worth your while.

I think I'd like this too.
Old May 16th, 2018, 04:36
Degenerate Jeeper

I made one using the diamond plate base from a Harbor Freight air compressor that bit the dust, mounted atop a bar stock frame. I was somewhat reluctant to drill through the floorboard, but after considering all options that's what I ended up doing to secure it. It's probably not the most elegant design, but it does plant my left foot at a comfortable angle.