• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wiper motor still not 3rd one!

So mine is having rear wiper issues. Neither the rear wiper or the washer pump is working. I checked the wiper fuze and it was fine. I used a multimeter to check fuse spot #22 and was getting around 12 volts on the positive side and the negative side would ground when I would toggle the wiper switch. Does this mean the wiper motor is bad? I haven't pulled the rear hatch cover to see if I'm getting power to the motor yet though. So now that I probably have the wiper motor close to figured out, how can I find out if the washer pump is having issues? Does it have it's own fuse?

The pump uses the same #22 fuse.

If you could access the rear wiper/washer switch you could back probe the connector while attached to the switch. You can use a sewing safety pin to back probe (Google or Yahoo it to see a pic of the pins).

Ignition Switch to RUN. Probe the Black/White tracer wire (pump) with your voltmeter to chassis ground while you select WASH with the switch. You should get 12 volts. Probe the Brown/Light Green tracer wire (motor) when with the switch selected to WIPE or WASH, you should get 12 volts. If these readings are good the fuse and the switch are good. You'd have to go to the motor harness body side connector to see if you get voltage there.

Last edited:
well it was a MAJOR! wiring issue, from the looks of it the wires at one point were all snipped and put back together sloppily what what looked to me like scotch tape..... some of the wires were crossed together...... whoever did this either didnt realize that one color wire should be connected with that same color wire or didnt have a wiring diagram or something idk but by the looks of it they got fed up and just gave up on it. I tried to cap the wires all back together and put them through the hole but was unable to get them to fit through so i put them together really good then and electric taped the hell out of them (this will work until i can afford to replace the wiring harnesses or can think of another solution) i now have a rear wiper again and my tailgate adjar light now works too! im so happy that i got the rear wiper working i do have a spare tire carrier so you cant really see to much out the rear window but still i like having everything in my truck working properly. Attached is a picture of the mess before i repaired it.
536101_10150812673134002_634484001_11299739_676786107_n.jpg

I appreciate all the help and the wiring harness picture thanks guys!

next thing i gotta do is get some rear tires then deal with the downstream 02 sensor and after that i can starting putting on things i want like a winch!

They could have swapped the liftgate from anotehr model year. I trashed my liftgate a couple years back from my '91 and put one on from a '94 from the junkyard (for $50, why not?) and painted to match. pretty much all the wires were a different color. I just probed around with 12v to sort everything out.

They could have swapped the liftgate from anotehr model year. I trashed my liftgate a couple years back from my '91 and put one on from a '94 from the junkyard (for $50, why not?) and painted to match. pretty much all the wires were a different color. I just probed around with 12v to sort everything out.

either way they really messed it up lol

I just put a new wiper motor in my 2000, the relay on the motor clicks as it should every few seconds when switched on but the motor won't turn.

Any ideas? I get power at the connectors as I should.

I'm glad someone's brought this thread a little up-to-date because I think it might be useful for me:

The '97 I bought just after Christmas didn't have a working rear wiper (don't know about the washer for reasons I'll come back to) & I was simply going to swap the motor from my '99 which I thought had a trashed trans. Now (1) a guy I trust reckons he MAY be able to fix the trans for a couple of beers - if I remove the pan (2) perhaps I shouldn't be too hasty, as it may not be the motor at all.

I'll check the fuse now I've got a clue which one it is, at the same time as the one for the horns but I'm assuming, on basis of earlier posts, there is no relay. If there is & it's with the fuses, how do I remove the trim to get to it?

The washer switch operates the front washers because the original reservoir was sacrificed to plumb in a snorkel, so now there's just a 2 litre drinks bottle under the hood & what I think is an after-market pump which the connector on the rear wash wires sort of fits.

1st priority is get the rear wipe working, then work out a way to have a rear wash set up, finally a sensible size reservoir - or re-route the hose between the snorkel & the TB (maybe by junking the original air cleaner?)

This is an issue that's on my to do list, wiper kept getting slower and slower then finally quit working together, replaced motor, still doesn't work. my next step is to start tracing wires. I did have a thought tho, has anyone used speaker wire for these wires? its more flexible with a thick casing.

Back