• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke upper rear shock mount *BUT THERES A CATCH*

2000heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
So after a couole years of having this 2000 xj i recently had and rear shock mount break on the drivers side. Not only is it the upper, but the idot before obviously had it break on him so instead of fixing it correctly he welded the hell out of it. Bolt and all. Looks like one big piece of popcorn. Well this is something that im bot capable of fixing due to not having the tools. I cant just punch it out and fish a bolt through. So i took it to a buddys house to have him look at it and i get word that its something that he dont feel comfortable digging into (dude is fabricator and worked for Roush) so long story short before going to pick it up has anyone else ever ran into some crap like this before? Any ideas were to go from here? Any help would be appreciated. Im new to this whole forum thing so deal with me, as i will try and get pics up soon as i figure it out. Thanks guys

Lots of folks have issues with those capture nuts breaking loose and end up cutting access holes from above. Probably your best bet after cutting the existing stuff off.

Lots of folks have issues with those capture nuts breaking loose and end up cutting access holes from above. Probably your best bet after cutting the existing stuff off.

I cut access holes and re welded the nuts in my last jeep then welded the flap back up. Spent way to much time on it. This time around I used a 3/4"hole saw or close to it and opened up some holes for good. I have just enough room for the socket and took 10 minutes.

Rough country makes a repair kit for broken upper shock bolts cant think of what they call it

There are already holes to access them from underneath, punch out with bfh or air chisel. Then fish bolt in above with wire or taped to an open ended wrench. When they are just stripped you can drill them out and there is room for another nut on top of the old one. If you search google about it and put NAXJA in the search you will find a bunch of posts about it, some with pics!

If it were me since you have the chunks of weld in the way I would use a cutting disk on an angle grinder to cut below the welds or grind down past them with a grinding rock. ( even if that means grinding it flat). Then I would punch out and replace as usual. Never understood why so many people cut holes when there is access to get at them slightly inboard when you are underneath.

Very common problem on these.

Last edited:
Cut the newbie some slack. If you can provide some helpful info, or encouragement, do so, otherwise ........

heepxj, grind the booger welds flush using appropriate eye and face protection, and use whichever of the suggested fixes meets your needs and skill level. I always knock out the welded nuts and fish in hardware store bolts/washers with a length of wire.

standard.jpg

Back