NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 10th, 2016, 03:27
NAXJA Forum User

1995 XJ Keeps missing shift into 3rd gear

Hello. I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4.0l Auto 4wd (NP/NV231) with a little over 240k on the dash (which stopped working many, many years ago, estimated well over 350k).

TO START: I HAVE REPLACED TPS, TCM FROM A WORKING JEEP, AND THE SHIFT SOLENOID ALL THE WAY AT THE BACK OF THE TRANS, THE ONE THAT IS BY ITSELF. I WAS TOLD THIS SHIFT SOLENOID CONTROLLED 3RD AND 4TH GEARS AND REPLACED IT WITH A BRAND NEW ONE. ALSO REPLACED TRANS FILTER, TRANS PAN GASKET, AND DID A FULL FLUSH AT THE TIME.

When I initially replaced the shift solenoid, the shifts got far better and the problem rarely happened. I drove it for maybe 2 days then it started happening again. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to piss me off. Might just go for a reman trans if nobody has any suggestions.

When placed in D, it shifts into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and OD fine most of the time.

Every now and then it will miss the shift from 2nd to 3rd and just free-rev. If I rev it hard while still in D it slips and then jumps forward but does not complete the shift. If I downshift it to D3 it jumps back to second gear but will not shift to third. If I go to D1&2 it stays in D3. If I stay in D3 and run it up the gear to right around redline then let off it decelerates hard then shifts to 3rd and the torque converter locks then I can move up to D and it will shift into overdrive.

Reverse takes a second or two to engage. No torque converter problems, no electrical problems, no engine problems, no tcase problems - this jeep was very well taken care of.
Old December 10th, 2016, 20:13
NAXJA Forum User

Re: 1995 XJ Keeps missing shift into 3rd gear

Worth a try:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=58
Old December 11th, 2016, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Is the TCM (TCU) from the same era Jeep? A Renix TCU won't work (properly) with a HO harness. The wiring is different. Easy to find out. If the color of the TCU connector is the same COLOR as the harness connector, you have the right TCU. If not you have the wrong TCU. Make sure they match.
Old December 11th, 2016, 20:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseXJ View Post
Is the TCM (TCU) from the same era Jeep? A Renix TCU won't work (properly) with a HO harness. The wiring is different. Easy to find out. If the color of the TCU connector is the same COLOR as the harness connector, you have the right TCU. If not you have the wrong TCU. Make sure they match.
How did you learn that?
Old December 12th, 2016, 07:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
How did you learn that?
LOL. the same way I learn pretty much anything worth learning...by screwing it up AT LEAST once... ...and perseverance...and a little help from my friends.