NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 3rd, 2016, 13:22
NAXJA Member

Re: 231 VS 242 and a sad, funny story

I had a 242 in mine and swapped in an Atlas. Then I installed the TNT long arm in the front and ordered it for the 242 I originally had. I still ended up modifying the skid for clearance below the Atlas. Mostly it was the connection between the belly pan and the t-case skid. The Atlas doesn't sit as far back as the 242, or a 231, so it hung down right where the 2 skids bolt together. I cut a section of the lip off, moved it over and welded it back in the new location. Then cut and lowered a section just below the t-case housing just to make sure I had ample room at the low point of the case. If I had clocked the t-case up one more position none of the mod's would have been necessary though.
'91 Cherokee Larado, Full-Traction 6" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 35" MTR's, 4:88's, 35-spline D44 w/ARB and Explorer disc's in back and a narrowed hp44 front w/E-Locker.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 13:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
I had a 242 in mine and swapped in an Atlas. Then I installed the TNT long arm in the front and ordered it for the 242 I originally had. I still ended up modifying the skid for clearance below the Atlas. Mostly it was the connection between the belly pan and the t-case skid. The Atlas doesn't sit as far back as the 242, or a 231, so it hung down right where the 2 skids bolt together. I cut a section of the lip off, moved it over and welded it back in the new location. Then cut and lowered a section just below the t-case housing just to make sure I had ample room at the low point of the case. If I had clocked the t-case up one more position none of the mod's would have been necessary though.
WOW - great info!! Do you have pics?

Also, why not just re clock the tcase? It obviously isn't as easy as it sounds...
2000 XJ 5.5" Lift w/Deavers and TNT arms, 30 front w/Super 30 kit, ARB, truss, etc. 44 rear w/35 spline alloys, ARB, Wilwood discs, truss, etc. Hooligan stiffeners front to rear, Hooligan fenders, Trailready front bumper, JCR rear bumper w/tire carrier. *under construction*
Old December 3rd, 2016, 21:45
NAXJA Member

The clocking isn't too hard since the mounting ring on the Atlas has holes that allow you to easily change where you put the mounting studs. But you usually have to do a bit of modifying (hammering) to the tunnel since the Atlas will hit when it's clocked up. I just didn't feel like doing the hammer-fit-hammer-fit exercise. The Atlas is just too dang heavy to lift in and out a bunch of times when you're working alone.
Here's a link to the thread I did when I installed the TNT kit. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106203 . Hopefully that works for you. I can email them to you if you like.
'91 Cherokee Larado, Full-Traction 6" coils w/ACOS's, 6.5" Clayton springs, 35" MTR's, 4:88's, 35-spline D44 w/ARB and Explorer disc's in back and a narrowed hp44 front w/E-Locker.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 23:49
NAXJA Member

Many people prefer the 231( I disagree with the reasons why) but anyway it's a popular swap. I have one available if you wanna trade

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old December 4th, 2016, 09:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
The clocking isn't too hard since the mounting ring on the Atlas has holes that allow you to easily change where you put the mounting studs. But you usually have to do a bit of modifying (hammering) to the tunnel since the Atlas will hit when it's clocked up. I just didn't feel like doing the hammer-fit-hammer-fit exercise. The Atlas is just too dang heavy to lift in and out a bunch of times when you're working alone.
Here's a link to the thread I did when I installed the TNT kit. http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106203 . Hopefully that works for you. I can email them to you if you like.
That works perfect! There really wasn't much modification, thank you for the clarity!

2000 XJ 5.5" Lift w/Deavers and TNT arms, 30 front w/Super 30 kit, ARB, truss, etc. 44 rear w/35 spline alloys, ARB, Wilwood discs, truss, etc. Hooligan stiffeners front to rear, Hooligan fenders, Trailready front bumper, JCR rear bumper w/tire carrier. *under construction*
Old December 4th, 2016, 20:21
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kego814 View Post
Many people prefer the 231( I disagree with the reasons why) but anyway it's a popular swap. I have one available if you wanna trade

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Size is justification enough IMO depending on your goals. Also if running an auto locker in the front the full time option is no longer viable on the pavement. Both reasons why I made the swap
Old December 4th, 2016, 20:24
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
Size is justification enough IMO depending on your goals. Also if running an auto locker in the front the full time option is no longer viable on the pavement. Both reasons why I made the swap
I've read this before - just to clarify - by "auto locker" you mean something NOT switchable, like a Detroit or something?
Old December 4th, 2016, 21:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
AA has a real SYE kit for the 242, I have it in mine

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ixed-yoke-kit/
When did that show up? When I needed a 242 SYE two years ago I was told Tom Woods was the exclusive distributor of the AA 242 HD SYE kit. I have it in mine. There was never any doubt that AA made it, just that back then TW was supposedly the exclusive distributor of it.
Old December 4th, 2016, 21:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjeepxj View Post
UPDATE: I called TNT after thinking about what Cal said. I got lucky - TNT is coming down to CO for the Christmas Caravan - they offered to bring the 242 tcase skid with to swap me.

TNT rocks!
That's great!
Old December 4th, 2016, 21:38
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
When did that show up? When I needed a 242 SYE two years ago I was told Tom Woods was the exclusive distributor of the AA 242 HD SYE kit. I have it in mine. There was never any doubt that AA made it, just that back then TW was supposedly the exclusive distributor of it.
It has not been very long that AA has had this. Maybe 1.5-2 years
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old December 4th, 2016, 21:38
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjeepxj View Post
I've read this before - just to clarify - by "auto locker" you mean something NOT switchable, like a Detroit or something?
I'm sure he means non-selectable (Detroit, etc).
Old December 5th, 2016, 08:12
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post
I'm sure he means non-selectable (Detroit, etc).
Makes sense - I have an ARB to go up front and would have hated for it to not work right.
Old December 9th, 2016, 17:24
NAXJA Forum User

If you decide to grab a 231 (which I think is the way to go), the Denver U Pull always has them. Sometimes just laying in the yard. They are normally $100. Next Sunday the 17th, everything will be half off.

They are pretty indestructible. The first XJ I bought had like 400k miles, and a 231 with a chain so loose it had worn through the case and let all the fluid out. The whole case was filed with dirt because it had been without lube so long. Worked more or less fine. So I wouldn't hesitate to get a junkyard 231.

Paul
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:57
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanda1 View Post
If you decide to grab a 231 (which I think is the way to go), the Denver U Pull always has them. Sometimes just laying in the yard. They are normally $100. Next Sunday the 17th, everything will be half off.

They are pretty indestructible. The first XJ I bought had like 400k miles, and a 231 with a chain so loose it had worn through the case and let all the fluid out. The whole case was filed with dirt because it had been without lube so long. Worked more or less fine. So I wouldn't hesitate to get a junkyard 231.

Paul
Thank you for the advice!!