• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear driveshaft lengths

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Does anybody have a table of rear driveshaft lengths? I just figured out that my rear driveshaft is for the 8.25 axle that was originally on my beater, but since the axle was replaced with a D35 after a rear-end collision the shaft is probably an inch too short.

car-part.com shows 8.25 and non-8.25 for automatics so I am curious what the actual lengths are, also considering other options like manual and D44 if known. I have a table of front shafts around here somewhere but haven't seen anything for the rears.

I have the same front driveshaft catalog you have probably, as I am also lacking the rear driveshaft catalog I've decided to do some internet spelunking and see if I can't find a copy. So far no luck, but I have found this, which should be useful to custom driveshaft people and people who like to know too much information: www2.dana.com/pdf/DSAG-0200.pdf

If/when I find the rear driveshaft catalog I'll post a link, as long as I can tell it's legal to do so (i.e. it's hosted on dana-spicer's site)

EDIT: also not what you're looking for, but here's a slip yoke catalog they have: http://www.dana.com/offhighway_systems/products/2007%20Lit/J300-P3.pdf

EDIT2: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index4.html - search for "spicer driveshaft parts catalogues" for some more possibly relevant info.

Last edited:
Drive shaft length measured from the center of each u-joint on the tube part of the drive shaft for 4.0L with AW4 and NP231.

29 spline 8.25 .... 27 7/8"
1997 + D35 ........... 28 7/8"
1987 D44 .......... 29 5/8"

Drive Shaft Length for late 1990's + with NP231 and NP242 should be the same.

Last edited:
I have part num 5209 8205 which the catalog shows as a rear shaft for 1993 with AW4 and 8.25. It's 29 5/8" long from the center of the u-joints. The 8.25 and D44 should be roughly the same so this seems right.

I went to a junkyard a couple of hours from here that sells shafts for $20 thinking I'd pick up a couple but all of their pre-97 XJs that still had shafts also had the old 8.25 :(

and part of 96 as well... if you get lucky.

Okay so i switched my original t-case out of my 95 2dr xj w/8.25 with a np231j, says it was man. in 99. Problem is my 95 drive shaft is too long, does this mean i need a 97+ shaft?

yes the output housing on the 99 231 is different from the output housing on the 95 so you need a 97+ driveshaft for an 8.25 with the same transmission

if you've lifted the jeep you might want to measure for a new one instead

Back