• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pattern Check

Blue xj 99

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
Could I get some feedback one my gear pattern. Its a Dana 30 HP with 4.56 gears. Ill post backlash and shim specs later. Let me know if this looks good or if it can be better.
20180408_0940461.jpg

20180408_0940551.jpg

That's not a read-able pattern, needs more pressure(load) on the gears.

ok, so I get to fine tune my pattern and this is what I got.
NRG= .0785
RG= .02055
BS=.008
Pinion shims=.059
IR8gin.jpg

CcEddh.jpg

Thanks for the advice. My pattern looks way better. This is the best I have gotten in a while. It looks close but I think it could be better. Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions.
NRG= .05590
RG= .04165
Pinion= .0355, Add .0204 for the baffle
Backlash= 10
fbe32a2595609e0e244b88cfd655c875.jpg
6c3e348639bde7992a3482763e547e08.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Tighten up the backlash and pull another pattern.

Ok so two pics are with a backlash at 6 and the last two are at 9. Let me know which one is better.
7b4081d0e11d6a2441e864239277ac1d.jpg
76ce3b018a1342470700d14ad20fa592.jpg
49cd43e96cb97e25a7d8121f9a9862c3.jpg
4d13f5352544154cd4cc99ca4ad7fbc9.jpg

If you guys could chime in that would be great. Jeeps been out of commission for a while and the gears are the last thing needed to get done.

Neither look perfect but your "patterns" are hard to read. What's your run-out on the ring gear? I always check that, with a full turn pattern under as load with as much pressure as I can apply. It looks like it wants .007-8" backlash!

Neither look perfect but your "patterns" are hard to read. What's your run-out on the ring gear? I always check that, with a full turn pattern under as load with as much pressure as I can apply. It looks like it wants .007-8" backlash!
What do you mean by run out?

Ring gear/carrier side to side movement(as in changes/variations) in thousandths! That's why I recommend a full ring gear pattern check.

Also don't try to read the drive and coast side at the same time.

I'll try to get better pattern readings. Is the runout measured without any shims or with the amount of shims that are currently on the carrier?

It's measured with what ever shims you have installed that you are checking the pattern on!

I should add that the run-out has nothing to do with any shimming, it's caused by the machining tolerances in the carrier and the gears and even your installation. Do you deburr the carrier? Did you stone and deburr the ring gear? Did you heat the ring gear and chill the carrier before installation? What brand of gears did you buy?

I didnt do any of those things. They are motive gears and I made set up bearings which is what I'm using now. Made sure to use the different carrier for the new gear ratio.

I should add that the run-out has nothing to do with any shimming, it's caused by the machining tolerances in the carrier and the gears and even your installation. Do you deburr the carrier? Did you stone and deburr the ring gear? Did you heat the ring gear and chill the carrier before installation? What brand of gears did you buy?

Do shops really do these things? -- Kinda sounds like using distilled water in a coolant system -- we all know it's the right way but find me a shop where you have ever seen it done...

If your able to measure the backlash, you can still measure the run-out. The important thing is the pattern!

Do shops really do these things? -- Kinda sounds like using distilled water in a coolant system -- we all know it's the right way but find me a shop where you have ever seen it done...

No, but good installers can read a pattern and know what to do with it !!!

Back