• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Oil Filter Adapter

REDSWAG

NAXJA Forum User
Changed the adapter-to-block o-ring last night-had my torx t-60 bit and was ready to go......and sweating....imagine my surprise when I discovered the adapter bolt had a 5/8's standard head on it-took it off with a ratchet-cleaned everything up and was done including an oil change in about a half-hour!!! Cool.

REDSWAG said:
Changed the adapter-to-block o-ring last night-had my torx t-60 bit and was ready to go......and sweating....imagine my surprise when I discovered the adapter bolt had a 5/8's standard head on it-took it off with a ratchet-cleaned everything up and was done including an oil change in about a half-hour!!! Cool.

yeah, i don't know about all this torx stuff and having to make tools to break it loose. mine was a regular 5/8 and i just threw an open end on it and it came right off.

I don't remember the gent's name-something-man, but he's got a website with pictures of the procedure on turning the adapter to horizontal-mentioned a t-60 bit to get the adapter off-may have been an earlier model-mine's a 1992-used a fram ph-8a oil filter for ford v-8's too. 3/4 x 16 threads and I can get my hands on the filter with no problem-I did leave it in the upright position tho...

REDSWAG said:
I don't remember the gent's name-something-man, but he's got a website with pictures of the procedure on turning the adapter to horizontal-mentioned a t-60 bit to get the adapter off-may have been an earlier model-mine's a 1992-used a fram ph-8a oil filter for ford v-8's too. 3/4 x 16 threads and I can get my hands on the filter with no problem-I did leave it in the upright position tho...

i got a 92 also.

word of the wise, drop the orange can of death (fram). i gained 20psi in oil pressure switching from fram to purolator (p/n 30001).

I think I will, thanks....and it was Yuccaman's article-no disrespect to him-couldn't remember his name...I prefer motorcraft filters anyhoo....maybe even a k&n. Orange can of death, that's a hoot!!

Yup, that was my site (www.yuccaman.com). It's down for a few days though while I tussle with the host but if I remember what was in there I listed info about getting the larger 1-quart filter onto the later-model (horizontal) oil filter adapter. Cool to hear that y'all had 5/8" bolts on yours - what years were they? My '96 had the T-60.

Yucca-Man said:
Yup, that was my site (www.yuccaman.com). It's down for a few days though while I tussle with the host but if I remember what was in there I listed info about getting the larger 1-quart filter onto the later-model (horizontal) oil filter adapter. Cool to hear that y'all had 5/8" bolts on yours - what years were they? My '96 had the T-60.

i crawled under there just to check out how i'd get it off and was like, "oh sweet, an actual bolt". threw a 5/8 on it and was done in about 5 minutes. it wasn't even on there super tight like i had read (i had read about guys taping two wrenches together and trying like all hell to get it off). just a few good tugs on the open end and it was loosened up enough to get off with my fingers.

Yucca-Man said:
Cool to hear that y'all had 5/8" bolts on yours - what years were they? My '96 had the T-60.

RENIX has them - maybe a little later. If I get a spare one to take to bits, I might take some measurements and see if I can dream up a replacement for the thing (with a HEX head at least - and maybe a little stronger as well... You ever break one of those? NO fun...)

5-90

Yuccaman, mine's a '92 and I had plenty of room to get a wrench or ratchet on it, taking care to stay clear of the starter...... If you have the machining skills, it would be a cool piece to replicate. O-rings appeared to be the same as the rest, drilled out from the engine side with 2 holes for oil flow-the '92 should get you the part you need-and my adapter would go to 90 degrees just like your article stated-I wasn't comfortable with the room I had left-great idea tho...good info, thanks.

How did you guys get a 5/8 bolt. Mine is the torx. And it took me forever to change that stupid o-ring out. Very hard to get to. Unless I was using wrong tools. LOL

did mine tonight, took all of 30 minutes with giving the adapter a hot bath in dish soap. oh yeah my 90 has the 5/8 bolt too

Just lucky. I think the T-60 was a ChryCo "innovation" later, AMC wouldn't make anything that difficult to work on.

I've got a couple sets of dentists' picks - I find them useful for dealing with any o-rings. Oil lines, hydraulics, paintball markers, whatever - dental picks are tops for getting under o-rings and into grooves.

5-90

When I picked up my new "O" ring set at the dealer they asked me if I wanted a new adapter too, asked why, he told me that MANY of the adapters break when replacing the "O" rings, don't know if he was trying to make a sale or if its true.

Well, I wish mine had the 5/8 bolt. However, when I took mine apart. There was no o-ring. There was still o-rings inside with the bolt you pop out. But, the laarge one was not there. I noticed I had an oil leak. Called stealership, they actually told me about the o-rings. So, I decided to change them out. There was only 2 on my adapter. No wonder I was leaking oil. LOL

Mine's a 91 and had the 3/4x16 threads and 5/8" bolt.

My '93 XJ is torx. Took it to my buddy's shop (Auburn auto repair in Auburn, WA) and got it fixed quick. Would've done it myself, but no shop and no socket to do it with (T60 didn't fit!)

Back