• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton longarms vs. Clayton 3 link

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I'm planning a small build in a few weeks. I know that the longarm upgrade would add considerable amount off flex but what about the 3link set up. Is the 3link better or not than the longarm. Will the 3link ride better or worse on the highway. Does the 3rd arm cause less downward travel with having the arm right under the floor board. If anyone has experience with these two systems please let me know your opinions. Thank you

heres what clayton themselves have to say about their radius arm vs. 3-link vs. 4-link kits

Our thoughts on radius arm, vs. 3 link vs. 4 link. is that they can all work if they are properly designed, however different applications can be used depending on what you plan on doing with your XJ.

Radius arm. This is a tried and proven system, that flexes amazing, offers great ride quality, and is fairly easy to install because you are attaching to all the OEM axle mounts.

3 Link front. We find no flex improvement, and no ride quality improvement. This kit does use larger 2.5 forged johnny joints for the uppers which will withstand more abuse. This kit is recommend for the more aggressive driver, mainly competition setups. In competitions guys are running sticky tires, on concrete courses, using front only to drag the rear. This put a great deal of load on the front joints, and yes the 3 link will hold up to this type of abuse better then the radius arm, which uses 2 inch johnny joints.

4 link front. While designing the 3 link, we look and saw that to add the same arm on the other side would be fairly easy at this point. We figure guys doing racing, jeep speed stuff, jumping, would appreciate the extra arm with the large 2.5 forged johnny joints. This kit will most likely need some custom exhaust work to clear that 4th arm.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

all this speak of binding is bullshit.

there is binding, yes. but you arent going to notice it. it isnt going to be the limiting factor in flex.

here is a retarded amount of flex with a radius arm

DSC00012.sized.jpg

The 3link is a little less money than the longarm upgrade. And looks fairly stout.
Sorry a little rig info might help. 6.5in front coils, 5in rear bastard packs with 1.5in lift shackles. 33x12.50x15 tires. D.D. weekend wheeler.
So I'm wondering which is a better choice for a daily driven weekend wheeled rig. I'm actually leaning toward the longarms but am just curious about the 3link. $1000 is a lot of money and I want to get the best onroad/offroad handling I can for that much, but I also need something that will not compromize other componants in the long run.

I currently have a short arm lift with drop brackets. Lately the brackets have had to be repaired multiple times for broken welds and generally falling apart. So I know longarms are enevitably in my future. So I want to get them now. I just wanna make sure I've made the right choice in which upgrade to do.

im with KTM Racer... radius arms will be far more than what you need for a DD/WW rig. think about it... if they were so inferior why on earth does every company sell them? chances are that youll have some other limiting factor in your suspension/steering. my suggestions:

1) Froehlich Suspensions

2) Clayton Radius Arms (i like the idea of adding a belly pan and/or rear coils later)

3) ironman radius arms with claytons crossmember

andy at ironman4x4 recommends claytons crossmember with their arms as they have not released their own yet. im a fan of Froelich and clayton because of the removable tranny mount. thats a selling point for me. and they prices are competatively priced.

I'm going with the 3 link as soon as I get enough cash together. Better joints and 3 frame attachment points are what sold me and with good reason, these things alone make it a much better choice.

im with KTM Racer... radius arms will be far more than what you need for a DD/WW rig. think about it... if they were so inferior why on earth does every company sell them? chances are that youll have some other limiting factor in your suspension/steering. my suggestions:

1) Froehlich Suspensions

2) Clayton Radius Arms (i like the idea of adding a belly pan and/or rear coils later)

3) ironman radius arms with claytons crossmember

andy at ironman4x4 recommends claytons crossmember with their arms as they have not released their own yet. im a fan of Froelich and clayton because of the removable tranny mount. thats a selling point for me. and they prices are competatively priced.

well i didnt say radius arms are better. im just sick of people talking about the binding like bunnies will die if you try to flex with them.

When you say radius arms are you talking about the longarms. Cause I thought radius arms were a solid beam that has a half moon end that's one whole piece that monuts to the top and bottom of the axle tube and is non adjustable. And a longarm is a long control arm that mounts to the bottom of the axle with another shorter arm that mounts to the top of the axle and mounts to the longer lower arm, both are adjustable and allow for flexing of the arms.?

When you say radius arms are you talking about the longarms. Cause I thought radius arms were a solid beam that has a half moon end that's one whole piece that monuts to the top and bottom of the axle tube and is non adjustable. And a longarm is a long control arm that mounts to the bottom of the axle with another shorter arm that mounts to the top of the axle and mounts to the longer lower arm, both are adjustable and allow for flexing of the arms.?
Yes long lowers with short uppers = radius arms. I know it sounds wrong.

The term "long arm" just means longer control arms than stock. Radius, 3 link, and 4 links are all types of "long arms," when you are talking about buying a kit from a company. For example, the stock suspension is a 4 link, but short arm. Remove one upper link off the stock suspension and you have a short arm 3 link.... hope this helps.

Back