• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas pedal vibrates when Jeep decelerates. Wtf.

GreatOdin'sRaven

NAXJA Forum User
The Jeep also makes a clicking sound like it's coming from behind my dash on drivers side.

The sound increases in frequency as the car increases in speed (not the engine RPMs)

Clicking sound/vibrating gas pedal occurs when Jeep is at steady speed, and loudest when decelerating, never when it's accelereting.

Any thoughts? Looked over engine bay, all looks normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove front and rear driveshafts alternately to help isolate the problem. Could be driveshaft u-joints or pinion bearings.

Take a flashlight and look at the front driveshaft U-joints.
If you see one with rusty red dust around it, that's the
bad one.

Thanks guys!

I just bought this Jeep and it was like the 3rd time I've driven it after I had made a lot of repairs.

I installed an after market bumper and this happened on the first drive after that. I do not think they were related.

Will inspect u joints tonight.

Other than being rusted to hell, they seem fine.

I'm gonna remove the shafts one at a time as previously mentioned to isolate the issue.

2c41963ae6d7da905273334fc8ac3c2f.jpg
235d60eb7846956157f5874d96abb435.jpg

68ae526274d79160e7404edb53ee9c12.jpg

6041a568102dec1c52b9c131255b4bf1.jpg

What year is it? 2020? LOL

OK, the behind the dash clicking sounds (LOL) like the speedometer cable-odometer package, the gauge or the cable, on an older style XJ like Renix era....

The vibrating pedal, is during breaking? You said during deceleration, but since it is the brake pedal, I assume you are applying the brakes too, foot on the pedal otherwise you would not fell the vibration, is this correct?

If yes, it maybe notches, groves in the slide area on the knuckle where the brake pads ride. A good skilled welder can repair them. The pads get stick there and when the caliper engages it jumps around, pulsing the pedal. It could be an out round brake rotor too.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii139/doogie1303/IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

Good luck removing those axles, your gonna need it with that kind of rust. Three star head bolts on the knuckle (IIRC) are a bitch to remove on a clean rust free rig, takes an impact socket and using the jeeps hydraulic steering power to bust them loose (I forget the exact details, but it was trip the one time I did it), before you can even start on that rust mess.

Back