• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ disc swappers - Akebono caliper questions

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of curiosity - are all WJ calipers made with phenolic (plastic/composite/whatever) pistons, or are there steel ones available?

I ask because I absolutely hate phenolic pistons. I've chunked my XJ front caliper pistons a few times with channel locks when doing brake jobs, but fortunately they still seal perfectly. Seems like all the Napa Akebono remans use phenolic pistons, which kinda sucks.

I haven't yet gotten a chance to look at a true OEM WJ caliper so I'm not even sure they ever made them with steel pistons. Worst-case scenario I'll buy some remans (or hit the junk yard), track down some steel pistons and just rebuild them myself.

Cstop using channel locks and start using a c clamp. I like to toss an old pad to press on in there so I dont damge the piston too.

^ What he said... be sure to catch any brake fluid that might come out of master cylinder when you push back caliper pistons. If brake fluid was added with thin /old pads then it will probably overflow and just make a mess... I keep a turkey blaster in garage to suck up fluids from master cylinder, power steering pump. I usually pull out and refresh with new every oil change.

You don't want to use channel locks on WJ calipers anyway because there are 2 pistons. With the calipers hooked up you'll be pushing one while the other comes out :)

Unless you're Shiva and you have 2 pairs of channel locks.

All valid and fair arguments - but can't a man just have a preference for steel pistons? :)

I guess I should ask this: did any of the Akebonos have steel pistons, or are they all phenolic?

Back