• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo gear and SYE issue

askites96

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all new to the forum currently on a few others but not getting any good replies to some things. Lurked on here for a long time and found it very useful.

On to the story, I installed a teraflex sye and could not get Speedo back seated correctly in tail housing. Every time I would turn the output shaft I could hear it skipping the plastic teeth. Finally got it to where I could feel the sensor just kind of vibrate in my hand and be silent . Decided to go for a drive and the Speedo either doesn’t work or bounces erratically. Came home pulled it out and it was a little rounded on the edges of the plastic teeth but not bad I just cleaned it up with a small file.

Yesterday I had to have had that thing in and out 50 times trying all kinds of angles to get it to work and sit properly after the test drive. Could not fix it. Today I tried again for an hour or so. Finally I decided instead of trying to install the Speedo assembly as you should by lining up tooth count with the bump on t case and the clip to hold it I would just try a totally different number set. My Speedo has a 40 tooth in it and by a miracle after literally hours on end fighting if I align it wrong to match the 32-38 tooth mark the Speedo works perfectly now not chewing the gear up or anything so far.. put it back to the 39-45 and it doesn’t work or bounces erratically over 45mph

So In the end my question is has anyone else had to intentionally clock their Speedo gear wrong to get it to work? Maybe this new SYE housing is machined different? Just enough to cause this? What’s your guys input? Leave it as is or try to figure out what’s wrong...?

I’m at a loss the SYE took me 2.5 hours and the damn Speedo has taken a total of about 5 now.

Any help is appreciated

Incorrect machining does sound most likely. You could always reach out to Terafllex and ask them about it, but if it's working I can't imagine any good reason to disturb it unless they want it back for analysis (in which case, I'd expect them to send you a replacement).

This makes me think - I can't read the markings on my tcase or speedo sensor module any more - they're too aged after all these years. I'll have to try and find a pic to reference if I ever have to go changing speedo gears again...

Just to keep updated, never got a call back from Adams Driveshaft however I ran it for a week with no issues removed assembly again to swap to a different ratio gear. Teeth looked fine not chewed up al all. New gear tooth size is also off a turn like the old and running fine with no problems thus far... will keep updated

Back