• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax No-Slip trail manners

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
97XJ, 4.0, AW4, 231J, 3" lift, 30" AT's, 460K miles.

I just purchased a No-Slip and intended to have it put in the 8.25 rear last week.

Members of my club have told me that on trails, like V ditches, in the wet Georgia clay, having a locker will pull the Jeep to the right and into the V ditches.

Has anyone had this problem with their XJ?

Thanks-
JP

It's not that the locker will pull it in....it's that you actually have both tires spinning now (spinning means no traction)....before, you had 1 spinning, and 1 not...the 1 not could keep you from sliding in.

Non-directional tires will do the same thing with or without a locker, as the jeep will slide in the direction of the tread blocks on the tire.

I got a locker in the rear of mine, and in 4wd in snow & ice, I can punch it and the jeep moves sideways to begin with due to the tread pattern on the tires.

Directional tires won't do this.

My No-slip has been perfect for the last 17yrs and has acted no different than any other locker I own(ARB and a Detroit)!

What is described can happen, but the solution is to simply not spin the tires. Sometime you don't need the biggest hammer in the tool box, you need to finesse things. The added traction from the locker that is available on the other 99.8% of the trail is worth it. For winter daily driving and muddy trails, I prefer a rear locker.

Last edited:
Back