• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country drop bracket install w/ pics

XJ&CHZ4ME

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a set of the new control arm drop brackets from Rough Country the other day and thought I would do a short write up for anyone who is interested in them. To start with I installed these on my 93XJ that had the Rough Country 6.5" X-Series lift on short arms. The short arms have been fine for the type of wheeling that I do, but the road manners were a bit harsh, so getting a set of drop brackets seemed like the logical choice for my rig. To start with, here is a pic of the components that came with the kit.
DSC00941.jpg

The directions were fairly basic, but needed just slight clairification on a couple of items. I would not suggest a beginner to try this at home with limited tools. Now granted I had the fortune of using an overhead hoist and air tools, it made the install go much smoother and faster then expected. Fisrt I started off by removing the wheel and the control arms from the "frame" side.
DSC00943.jpg

Next we installed the main body of the control arm drop bracket and the "boomerang" shape bracket for the upper control arm to mount in. Now this is a part that the directions were not overly clear on, so the best way I can explain it is that the small "dog eared" tab goes towards the bottom and it runs convex (curved away) from the frame.

DSC00946.jpg

After these items were mocked up, we tightened them down before we had installed the control arms back in them. This is where we got a bit to excited with the airgun and overtightened them causing it to be a hard fit to get the lower control arm back into the bracket with the adjustment shoe installed. We simply corrected this by backing the pressure off of the bolt and the control arm slid easily into place, and we re-torqued everything once the arms were installed. He is what it looks like with the upper and lower installed in the brackets before installation of the back brace.

DSC00948.jpg

Next we installed the braces that run on the back of the drop brackets. These installed just like the directions indicated. They are bolted to the back of the brackets by using the 2 bolts that extended out of the alignment shoe and then they have (2) 3/8" self tapping bolts that you have to drill an 11/32" hole for before you can screw them into the frame rail. This was an easy item to do to finish up the install.

DSC00949.jpg

I know that some people are going to wonder if the reinforcement bracket goes back far enough. I was curious about that my self, but since I have rock rails that run right behind these braces, it works out great for my set up. As far as road manners, it is night and day difference. I am very pleased with the product and the quality of craftmanship is great. I can say that Rough Country has really stepped up their quality and it is good to see that they are still putting attention to the XJ market. Here is the completed install pic.
DSC00950.jpg

I removed my rock rails for the installation of the brackets b/c I was unsure if they would clear or not. They do clear.

How much were they after shipping and everything? I am thinking that I must have these! Its either these, or long arms, and the wife will probably like the price of these much better.

Approximately how far down do these brackets drop the control arms from the stock position?

x2elite said:
How much were they after shipping and everything? I am thinking that I must have these! Its either these, or long arms, and the wife will probably like the price of these much better.

Under $200 since your a NAXJA member. Check out the vendors forum and Jason (GRIMUS99XJ) has a pic and price posted over there.

Mopar It said:
aint on the site for rc

Yeah I know. The price and pics are in the Vendors forum. RC should have them available on their site pretty quick from what I understand. Just contact Jason (GRIMUS99XJ) and ge can get ya all the details ya need.

Daedalus454 said:
Approximately how far down do these brackets drop the control arms from the stock position?

I'l have to measure that after I get off work. I'll post back later on that question.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
The directions were fairly basic, but needed just slight clairification on a couple of items. I would not suggest a beginner to try this at home with limited tools. Now granted I had the fortune of using an overhead hoist and air tools, it made the install go much smoother and faster then expected. Fisrt I started off by removing the wheel and the control arms from the "frame" side.

Next we installed the main body of the control arm drop bracket and the "boomerang" shape bracket for the upper control arm to mount in. Now this is a part that the directions were not overly clear on, so the best way I can explain it is that the small "dog eared" tab goes towards the bottom and it runs convex (curved away) from the frame.

DSC00946.jpg

We have added a few pics to the instuctions to help with any confusion on the boomerang brkt

Just got the new updated instructions faxed to me by Jason. The new instructions are much more user friendly and address the upper control arm "boomerang" mount.

It is good to see that the guys at Rough Country are on the ball and have addressed this already.

interesting, i didnt realize that the RC brackets also drop the mounting point for the upper control arm.

does anybody know if the RE drop brackets drop the upper control arm. it looks like the RC brackets drops the lowers about 3" which still leaves the lower arm at an angle. i believe the RE brackets drop the arm about 4".

RE brackets drop both arms almost 4.25"

IGOCOMMANDO said:
RE brackets drop both arms almost 4.25"

thank you, wasnt sure if they dropped both arms. i never understood how you could only drop the lowers and not the uppers. now i know

89xj said:
thank you, wasnt sure if they dropped both arms. i never understood how you could only drop the lowers and not the uppers. now i know

Here's some pics of the RE drop bracket kit.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

Looks like the new RC brackets are a copy of the RE brackets, which are copies of the original design by TrailMaster, just with a different brace than RE's. (the original TM brackets had no brace). The main difference btwn the RC and RE braces is that the RE braces go all the way back to the crossmember mounting bolts/studs.

Bitchin job Tyler!

Back